Best Goat

CrazyCatNChickenLady

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
:lol: I'm gonna have to meet some kiko's then! ;) But yes you're right. SOOOOO bad. Squirt is pretty much re-named naughty goat! Hey, wait. I'm trying to sell the lamancha breed here, not make the OP not even consider them! :lol: Let me just say her personality makes up for it though. The turd better be a good milker, thats all I have to say.

Straw Hat Kikos

The Kiko Cowboy
Reaction score
CrazyCatNChickenLady said:
:lol: I'm gonna have to meet some kiko's then! ;) But yes you're right. SOOOOO bad. Squirt is pretty much re-named naughty goat! Hey, wait. I'm trying to sell the lamancha breed here, not make the OP not even consider them! :lol: Let me just say her personality makes up for it though. The turd better be a good milker, thats all I have to say.
haha Yes anyone that is looking for a really good goat and strengths for certain things would be in their best interest too research the LaMancha breed. We actually have one here and they are crazy goats but so funny and bad. haha And yes she best be a good milker too. But they do have tons of personalty. More than other goats for sure.

bigmike

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
My Lamancha is such a sweetheart but she does have personality..She is certainally not boring...And very intelligent...She is standing there watching for my car when I come home from work and starts talking to me as soon as i get out of the car...She knows it's feeding time...Not that she's starving, they always have plenty of hay..

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
I would recommend sampling the milk from the parent stock for any goat you consider.

I have Nigerian Dwarf and lamancha goats, my partner has Kiko meat goats but they too will be milked this year. They are suppose to be very good milkers and good taste even though they are meat goats. They do produce a good bit of milk too... generally triplets have no problem being fully raised by momma til weaning.

kstaven

Purple Cow/Moderator
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
One thing I can say about milk taste is that it is more a function of diet than breed. Si if you are sampling milk for taste nuances they need to be on the same diet. Other than that the moment you take them home and alter diet you will find the milk taste/texture will change.

Oakroot

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
About Nubians not being escape artists.

I KNOW my Nubians can get out of their pen. Because on one occasion each I have come out to the barn and found either the doe or the buck loose wandering around in the barn. But it was only once and they have never done it again. And the buck was because I let the doe loose in the barn and ran into the house real quick and when I came back he had joined her. So they could get out and go wandering if they wanted but they never have and I keep all the feed in the barn. It goes with out saying that pens are getting remolded next month before new unbred does come home to stay with us but I have been really pleased with how well behaved they are.

My Nubian doe is a bit load and annoying but only when she can see me. I never hear her up in the house.

Fish sticks

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I'm so thankful to see this... The two breeds I was thinking of! I've got a 7 AND A HALF year old girl who's trouble enough lol. :love IMG_20160405_072638.jpg

SteveElms

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Wow - 3 pages worth of posts and there's no love for the Toggs? I'll be the first to spread some Toggenburg love. What I like about them is that they produce consistently and are QUIET. Im sure every goat is different but I've never met a quiet Nubian. My wife and I have some Nigerians and I milked one last year but we wanted to have enough milk to be able to make cheese, soap etc. I was consuming all of the milk I was getting and we never got ahead.

I haven't noticed the strong "goaty " taste that they are known for. I do have them on 4th cutting alfalfa only and they get grain on the stand. Their milk isn't as rich as othe s but I like the taste. The 2 that we have are pretty laid back and easy keepers. By the way did I mention that the ice cream is really good?

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
Toggs are wonderful goats personality wise. I don't have one anymore, but I have some alpine/togg crosses and they make a good mix. Unfortunately my last Togg had horrible milk but I agree that they are good consistent producers and very quiet. My goats all get alfalfa 365 days a year and also grain on the milk stand and the Togg milk was definitely a lot more "goaty". I don't notice the strong flavor in any of my other goat's milk.

SteveElms

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I did run across a batch of "goaty" tasting milk today. It was from my milking on Saturday. We organize our milk in the fridge in rows of a gallon, so its pretty easy to tell when it was milked. I couldn't figure out why it tasted different from the rest. It was fresher than the milk I had yesterday, so I thought about when I was milking them. I remembered Saturday morning I got distracted, and the milk sat for probably half an hour longer while at the stand than normal. I also didn't have my ice packs around the jars when I was milking on Saturday since they were all re-freezing. That's the only thing I can figure out that made this quart taste different from the rest. It wasn't bad and I drank it, but I definitely noticed the off taste. Needless to say I won't forget the ice packs from here on.

We are about ready to separate the kids from the Nigerians at night and start milking them in the morning, so maybe my perception of Togg milk will change. I will also say the Queso Fresco cheese and Mozzarella cheese sticks we had last night were delicious!