Breed & Sex Questions...

JusticeFamilyFarm

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Hello! I have a deposit in on two kids- a brother (wether) and sister that are Boer x Oberhasli, but I've been having some second thoughts about the wether. The owner of the kids (and many others) says she prefers the girls, especially with my young daughters, because they tend to be sweeter. She has other girls I could choose instead of the wether, but I liked this little girl and her brother. Any input on that? If it is true that I may have better luck with friendlier girls, I will call her and change my pick, but I want to be sure I have a reason. Anything else I should know about choosing a doe over a wether or vice-versa? Also- the other does she has are Boer x Nubian, not Oberhasli- I don't know much about the breeds and temperaments, so don't know if that matters much.
Thanks so much for your help!!! :D

20kidsonhill

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Nubain can be load, but we have some really sweet nubain/boer cross.

The biggest concern about having a whether and a doe, is size difference. He will get muc bigger than her. You will have to make sure she can have plenty of room to eat, if he decides to be bossy.

A whether can still act a little bucky, but I don't keep whethers long term, so I don't have any experience with this.

A whether can get Urinary calculi, you wouldn't have to worry about this with two does.

aggieterpkatie

The Shepherd
Reaction score
All the wethers I've owned (sheep and goats) have been THE SWEETEST pets ever. In fact, I always prefer male animals as pets (always castrated) because in my experience, females tend to be more attitude prone. Males just want love and attention!

ETA: And I've never had a wether act bucky/rammy at all!

helmstead

Goat Mistress
Reaction score
aggieterpkatie said:
All the wethers I've owned (sheep and goats) have been THE SWEETEST pets ever. In fact, I always prefer male animals as pets (always castrated) because in my experience, females tend to be more attitude prone. Males just want love and attention!

ETA: And I've never had a wether act bucky/rammy at all!
:thumbsup ditto

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
helmstead said:
aggieterpkatie said:
Yep

crazyland

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
My wether is an in your pocket goat. He will try to crawl in my lap, follows us like a dog, first to run to us when we go out.
My girls prefer their distance and only like to come for food.

freemotion

Self Sufficient Queen
Reaction score
Just don't play "head games" :p with him, don't let him butt or push anyone with his head, ever. Watch guests and neighbors around him and explain, firmly, that he shouldn't be allowed to do this and why....it is for the safety of your children.

I had to talk to a neighbor that thought it was funny to goad my buck into ramming the fence. It is still not safe for me to bend down outside his fence with any part of me....especially my head....close enough to the fence that I'll get hit when he hits the fence and it bows towards me. I've gotten a couple of good headaches and saw a few stars thanks to ignorant neighbors. Don't worry, though, bucks are much more inclined to this behavior than wethers. But teach him that using his head on people is never acceptable.

As long as you are watchful as he is growing up he should be a great, loving, fun, playful pet for your family for years to come.

lilhill

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
elevan said:
helmstead said:
aggieterpkatie said:
Yep
I agree.

JusticeFamilyFarm

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
20kidsonhill said:
A whether can get Urinary calculi, you wouldn't have to worry about this with two does.
I've read a little about Urinary Calculi- how big of a concern is this? Is it very common, or if you feed them right is it easy to avoid?
Thank you all so much for all of the advice and help! I am very excited about our new babies, but nervous at the same time. :)

20kidsonhill

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
JusticeFamilyFarm said:
20kidsonhill said:
I've read a little about Urinary Calculi- how big of a concern is this? Is it very common, or if you feed them right is it easy to avoid?
Thank you all so much for all of the advice and help! I am very excited about our new babies, but nervous at the same time. :)
I know it isn't all that rare. That is why I wanted to mention it so you can research the subject and learn what to do. It is a very ugly death and very expensive to treat with surgery. Being educated on the subject should help a lot.

the later they are castrated the better.

feeding grain is okay, but feed a pelleted goat grain with ammonia chloride in it.

Consider having extra ammonia chloride on hand and giving a little extra every know and then, in addtion to what is in the grain. I just purchased a couple lbs from our local feed store.

feeding extra things like corn, sunflower seeds, changes the phosphorus to calcium ratio, so you are better off sticking with a goat feed formulated for growing meat goats, referred to as meat maker or goat grower or goat developer. It will have a 2:1 calcium to phosphorus ratio.

You don't want too much phosphorus compared to calcium in the grain. another words you want the label to have atleast twice as much calcium as phosphorus.

A good example is purina goat minerals. this does NOT have the proper ratio of Ca to P. and one should avoid feeding it to males, unless you are providing higher calcium feeds along with it like alfalfa.

The extra ammonia chloride (AC) wont hurt the doe. They get stones too, but they don't get stuck in the urinary tract like it would on a male causing a blockage.

feed plenty of grass and long steamy stuff. often times the reason why a show animal gets stones, is because they are eating a lot of show grain and not very much grassy steamy stuff. They need to produce saliva from chewing their cud to help the phosphorus and calcium work in t heir system properly.

So a little grain treated with ammonia chloride.
a little extra ammonia chloride
good pasture or hay

And Plenty of fresh WATER at all times!!! a male should never go with out water or clean water for that matter. Goats do not like dirty water.