Cadbury's babies - 2 wk pics 7/2/12- can you give me color dscrpt now?

Bunnylady

Herd Master
Reaction score
There was a time when I could sex a kit at a week old, but my eyes aren't that good any more. Besides, I worry that it might hurt them, so now I wait until they are at least 3 weeks old. Because what you are looking at is very tiny, you have to be very aware of details. The little buck has a "doughnut" the opening is a dot, and it stands up equally all way 'round. The doe has a V, the opening is a slit, and the part furthest from the anus stands highest, tapering down to level with the skin at the back. The buck's "parts" are placed a teensy bit further away from the anus than the doe's, but since we're talking millimeters here, it takes practice to see it. Bucks can have a split penis (a DQ) that can look like a doe's vulva, so some of the other details are worth noting. But remember, rabbit people joke about rabbits changing sexes for a reason!

Just a side note on sexing really young kits - if you've handled them much, you know that they frequently wind up peeing when you are holding them (that's why I call 'em squirts at this age!). If the pee just sort of dribbles down the bunny's tail, it's probably a doe. If it shoots you in the eye, it's probably a buck! ;)

Missy

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I do handle them quite frequently, I have yet to be peed on...knock on wood....I read your post then went to check on things. As I had them bottom side up, I quickly realized that there was no way I was going to be able to check sexes the conventional way. The little opening is just so small. And all three look exactly the same right now. Ah well I have nothing but time anyways.

therealsilkiechick

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
i can accurately sex mine at 8-10 days old no matter what breed a rabbit is but most people can't. it takes alot of practice but once ya know what you are looking for and right way to hold them your good to go. we handle all our babies everyday from birth and up. teaching myself to sex them early helped to know faster who was not staying and would be for sale. that way we know right away who we were not keeping and don't get to attached to them. it's easier on the kids if they know right off the bat the ones not staying. i have only ever had babies pee on me when they are only a few days old if i forget the fans or a/c is on and takke them out to check bellies but never had them do it while checking the sexes of them.

Missy

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Mine are nine days old right now. Do you do it the same way as you would an adult?

Missy

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Here are the 2 week pictures. Can anyone describe colors now:) Sorry about the nesting box, I fill it with hay, and momma carries the hay back out. I give up, she must know what she wants:)

005-13.jpg

004-14.jpg

003-12.jpg

002-13.jpg

001-16.jpg

Bunnylady

Herd Master
Reaction score
Broken Black, Broken Chestnut, and interestingly, looks like the solid one is a Smoke Pearl (I thought it looked a little light for a Blue).

Missy

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Smoke pearl? Excuse my ignorance, but why is the interesting? Is it uncommon?

Barbara

Just born
Reaction score
I know this is late to chime in but I see a butterfly on babies nose..English Spots have those markings, do Broken Chestnuts also have those markings?

Bunnylady

Herd Master
Reaction score
Barbara said:
I know this is late to chime in but I see a butterfly on babies nose..English Spots have those markings, do Broken Chestnuts also have those markings?
Rabbits with the broken pattern typically have color on the ears, color around the eyes, color on the nose, some color on the back/sides. They may have a double row of "buttons" on their belly, elbow spots, and cheek spots. The broken pattern is showable in many breeds; there are a few (like the Checkered Giant and English Spot) that are only shown in the broken pattern. A lot of breeds aren't very picky about the exact placement of color; for example the Mini Rex only specifies some color on the nose, balanced nose markings being preferred, but only the complete absence of a nose marking is a DQ. In the "marked" breeds (those that award points for the markings), the placement of color becomes very important, with it reaching its most precise requirements in the English Spot.

Barbara

Just born
Reaction score
Thanks, I love learning from all you smart people. Also too lazy to go searching for the answer. I am just starting with bunnies and bought three english spots who aren't marked well enough for show, so I will love them and hug them and call them George:)
My NZ breeds are for meat and my first bunnies were born by surprise this past Tuesday. They feel cold but are still surviving. They are in a wired suspended cage under an outside open shed in a nest box stuffed full of hay and fur. I am more worried about the heat here in coastal SC, so why are some cold to the touch?