Canesisters 2023 journal - turning my Disasters into Delights

canesisters

Herd Master
Reaction score
I would take the tester and go around to different spots along the whole fence and see what it is testing... The poly braid might not be in such bad shape as the charger you had was just too "small" for what you were doing.
You might be able to just go through and add a wire all along the top of what you have and that will be enough to discourage them once they get zapped....

Love @Ridgetop 's comment... sorry for Eva, but it would be funny to see her get her little "comeuppance"...

I truly hope this solves the problem for you....
Did that last night (its more fun to watch that tester FINALLY glow all the way to the top in the dark). Even waaaay over near grumpy neighbor's land it was maxing out my tester.
New charger is the BEST farm $$$ I've ever spent!!!!
I have no doubt now that my charger had been the problem all along.... but I'm still fixing the fences 😉

canesisters

Herd Master
Reaction score
Two totally UN-cow-related things that I want to remember the dates for

EGG-speriments
Sometime last June I started water-glassing eggs. I've got 3 half gallon jars sitting on my counter. Tonight I'll scramble up a couple. I've been told they don't fry-up like fresh eggs (watery whites) but otherwise can be used just like fresh eggs. If I'm not on here tomorrow... they killed me.

Last night I coated 3 eggs in a mix of salt, pepper, onion powder & paprika and froze them. I love hard boiled eggs soaked in soy sauce or teriyaki sauce so that the whites get lots of flavor. I've been told that hard boiled eggs frozen become rubbery. I'll have to see if it is rubbery enough to be unpalatable.

IF freezing doesn't ruin them, I might try freezing them in those giant ice cube trays so each one gets it's own little well of soy or teriyaki sauce....

canesisters

Herd Master
Reaction score
Just looked back and realized that I hadn't updated THIS thread with the fence repairs that got done last Sat.
Sis & I removed almost all of the lines (all 3 lines) in purple and re-ran them with 14g stainless. This was the worst section in this pasture. It had 1 VERY OLD line of that big, thick cotton braid stuff the length of the driveway and several sections of the thin poly braid were frayed from weed wacker hits.
The remaining lines along the back are 2 lines of metal. I'll add a 3rd (since this IS my perimeter fence) and work to get them all the same heights from the ground. There are a couple of sections where it goes from T-post to step-in post to wood post to t-post and the wire looks like 2 lines of zig-zag stitching that's zigging & zagging different patterns.
fence repair 6.10.23.jpg

canesisters

Herd Master
Reaction score
Also - quick question - since this new fence has enough juice to really hurt.. I don't want to risk EVER touching it!
At the moment - all 3 lines ARE hot and are connected by a short tail of wire between them. But, this means that I have to shut off the WHOLE thing in order to repair a break in one line. @farmerjan said that I needed to not have them connected to each other, and I want to fix it soon.
Would something like these work to jump the charge from the top line down to the lower ones so that it can be disconnected easily?
1686682448599.png

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Yes, you can use anything like a "jumper" from one line to the other. There are also a "cut out throw switch" that we have at one place at posts to different fields... so you can leave the fence on say the first field, then when it goes to the second field/section, you can throw that switch and the wires are disconnected from the first section... and then you can work on the second section... we have the one for double lines... or you can put one on each line... they run $10 or so I think. I am sure Lowe's would have them. I have not read very good reviews on the American Farm works one.. ours has a thick solid type plastic handle, does not feel cheap but I have seen some that would not last very long. All the electric fence companies have them too...

Make sure that a "jumper cable" type has good insulation on the handles. but they would work fine as long as you don't have the wires touching one of the fence lines.

SageHill

Herd Master
Reaction score
Two totally UN-cow-related things that I want to remember the dates for

EGG-speriments
Sometime last June I started water-glassing eggs. I've got 3 half gallon jars sitting on my counter. Tonight I'll scramble up a couple. I've been told they don't fry-up like fresh eggs (watery whites) but otherwise can be used just like fresh eggs. If I'm not on here tomorrow... they killed me.

Last night I coated 3 eggs in a mix of salt, pepper, onion powder & paprika and froze them. I love hard boiled eggs soaked in soy sauce or teriyaki sauce so that the whites get lots of flavor. I've been told that hard boiled eggs frozen become rubbery. I'll have to see if it is rubbery enough to be unpalatable.

IF freezing doesn't ruin them, I might try freezing them in those giant ice cube trays so each one gets it's own little well of soy or teriyaki sauce....
Timing I tell ya' -- I just took these eggs out of the freezer and vacuum sealed them and back in the freezer. They'll be great for cookies, cakes, cheesecake, etc. I haven't tried any other use of my frozen eggs. Works great for me. Year 2 of freezing them because we all know the girls go on strike for Christmas and the holidays.
I crack them into a silicone cupcake "pan". They pop right out.
IMG_8968.jpeg