Canesisters 2023 journal - turning my Disasters into Delights

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Not familiar with Mastoblast so can't say. I would do what works best for you... Separate early in the morning and heifer will be locked in the barn/stall right? Let her holler... unless the neighbor works nights and sleeps days, TOUGH SH!T... let her holler during the day. Make sure she has plenty of hay and water... and give her some grain for a treat when you first bring her in.... then you lock her in...
Milk at night when you get home so it is about 12 hours difference? Then turn her out with cow for night... quiet for all at night. See if it works?
Since you get up early enough, and the weather is nice now... do the milking at night so when they are together, at night, you and everyone else can sleep...

The weaning nose rings are very easy for an enterprising animal to get off... and if she hits the cow with it... and only the spiked ones really work.... the cow will get kicky and might get kicky when you simply want to milk. I've used 2 different kinds on cows that tried to suck other cows and both got them off in less than a week... and I would have sworn they could not get them out of the nose without really hurting their nose.... But, some people swear by them.
If you had a dedicated small lot with woven wire (field fence) AND a hot wire on it, I would say to "fenceline wean"... which is putting the calf and cow separate but next to each other so calf doesn't feel "abandoned"...
the biggest problem you have is that you only have 1 cow and 1 calf... NO one else to buddy around with... they do not like to be alone... cattle are herd animals and will buddy around with others of similar size and age just because.....

Yes they will drop some weight when weaned... 30-50 lbs.... but at this stage she needs to have her milk cut back so she will get what we call the milk fat weight off and get more "hard weight" which is from grass/hay/feed....

Being just the pair, your options are more limited... but I would go to once a day and make sure she cannot get to her momma... however you do it... and IF the cow does develop some mastitis, then you do have the option of the calf staying with her to work it out of the udder... yes, the butting of the udder and frequent sucking does often help to keep it emptied which will help to stop the problem. But, if she has a chronic problem with staph or strep... keeping the calf on her is only masking the problem as it will not show up much until you are only milking twice a day instead of the calf sucking on her every hour or 2 or frequently...

canesisters

Herd Master
Reaction score
Not familiar with Mastoblast so can't say. I would do what works best for you... Separate early in the morning and heifer will be locked in the barn/stall right? Let her holler... unless the neighbor works nights and sleeps days, TOUGH SH!T... let her holler during the day. Make sure she has plenty of hay and water... and give her some grain for a treat when you first bring her in.... then you lock her in...
Milk at night when you get home so it is about 12 hours difference? Then turn her out with cow for night... quiet for all at night. See if it works?
Since you get up early enough, and the weather is nice now... do the milking at night so when they are together, at night, you and everyone else can sleep...

The weaning nose rings are very easy for an enterprising animal to get off... and if she hits the cow with it... and only the spiked ones really work.... the cow will get kicky and might get kicky when you simply want to milk. I've used 2 different kinds on cows that tried to suck other cows and both got them off in less than a week... and I would have sworn they could not get them out of the nose without really hurting their nose.... But, some people swear by them.
If you had a dedicated small lot with woven wire (field fence) AND a hot wire on it, I would say to "fenceline wean"... which is putting the calf and cow separate but next to each other so calf doesn't feel "abandoned"...
the biggest problem you have is that you only have 1 cow and 1 calf... NO one else to buddy around with... they do not like to be alone... cattle are herd animals and will buddy around with others of similar size and age just because.....

Yes they will drop some weight when weaned... 30-50 lbs.... but at this stage she needs to have her milk cut back so she will get what we call the milk fat weight off and get more "hard weight" which is from grass/hay/feed....

Being just the pair, your options are more limited... but I would go to once a day and make sure she cannot get to her momma... however you do it... and IF the cow does develop some mastitis, then you do have the option of the calf staying with her to work it out of the udder... yes, the butting of the udder and frequent sucking does often help to keep it emptied which will help to stop the problem. But, if she has a chronic problem with staph or strep... keeping the calf on her is only masking the problem as it will not show up much until you are only milking twice a day instead of the calf sucking on her every hour or 2 or frequently...
That's what I was thinking. Blossom spends large chunks of the day inside on her own anyway to hide from the flies. Why have to swish your tail when you can lay in the shade and wait for Mom to bring lunch to you?
Because of the mastitis last time, I've been watching Eva's udder this lactation. No unusual heat or firmness and absolutely no behavior indicating that she doesn't feel normal. But you're right, if there's been an underlying problem brewing, weaning will quickly bring it to light.
I agree, she needs to get weaned even if I'm going to send her for processing. It's just makes for a much better quality of meat.

canesisters

Herd Master
Reaction score
Well THAT neve happened with the other fence charger
holycrap.jpg

I stepped out the door this AM and heard a LOUD "SNAP, SNAP, SNAP!". So loud, I couldn't tell which direction it was coming from at first. I tossed my stuff in the car and started looking over the pastures (please don't be loose....). The girls were standing in the far corner staring at the barn - heads up, ears out. By then I could tell the SNAPs were coming from the back of the barn. Sure enough, there was a big sparking arc at a post. I boogied inside & pulled the plug, grabbed my plyers and came back to fix it.
Turned out all I had to do was scrape the deep-fried slug off of the insulator.... :sick Did you know that they produce a LOT of thick, snotty slime when they get fried?????

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
If the slugs keep climbing the post, sprinkle lots of salt around the post about 1/4" thick. That will kill the slug before it can climb the post.

Definitely start weaning the calf. If you have a possible buyer, then sell her. You need the hay money and will breed Eva back anyway. Pen her up during the day and let her in with mom after milking at night. No milk so the cow will not be interesting in nursing her. Cutting to one milking a day will help dry Eva up a bit too. If that doesn't work to wean, you can divide the stalls and keep them separate but next to each other in each stall at night. If your hay guy likes Blossom already, and she is a quarter Jersey she would be an awesome cow for him to raise beef on with lots of milk. If you can started weaning she can go to him after a month or so and he can finish the process. :fl

A bird in the hand . . . .

canesisters

Herd Master
Reaction score
Had a huge storm front roll through yesterday. The usual dramatics first: lots of wind, sheet lightening, occasional bolts & big booms. Followed by heavy downpours & even a little hail! Then it settled down & rained off & on until late. 2.25 inches! Yeah!
20230616_163725.jpg