Canesisters 2023 journal - turning my Disasters into Delights

canesisters

Herd Master
Reaction score
Bertie is 7ish & according to the staff, a perfect Lady. She was picked up stray on June 2. Her microchip info is no longer accurate (phone # no good).
The shelter is 10am-3pm M-F There's no way I can get away from work before 5/5:30 Thurs & Fri - and they are closed weekends (weird right?). So I told her I'd be there Monday afternoon IF Bertie hadn't been snapped up already. (...thinking, you know, if it's "meant to be" and all).
She messages me RIGHT back & said that she's on kennel cleaning duty this weekend, that I HAVE to come meet this dog.
Soooooo guess who's got a special after hours visit on Saturday???? ME! 😁

canesisters

Herd Master
Reaction score
Can't they put a tentative "hold" on her until Sat?? Some shelters take apps for adoption and it's like first, second, etc for those interested. Your friend must REALLY feel this girl is like your other one!!🥰. And she would know.
:celebrate:pop:weee:celebrate
Just the fact that she knows I'm interested is sort of a hold. She's been trying to get me to react to one for a LONG time.
IF someone extraordinary comes along tomorrow & they adopt her out, that will be good too.

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
I looked at her again. She's been well cared for and I can't imagine someone isn't looking 😢. Perhaps she's been misplaced .. stolen, etc. It's strange. That is not a street dog stray. 🤷 Only 2 days for meet up.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
I have to agree with @Mini Horses ... she does not look like the average stray. That said, you may be the answer to her prayers... maybe she was stolen and dumped/got away... maybe the phone # not being good is not the only way to check on where she was microchipped... and maybe she needs you to take care of her for the time being... if she were to be found by her owners you would miss her terribly I think, but you would be very grateful that you helped have a home in the interim. I had a white german shepherd male show up at a farm I was renting and living on, once... called the dog warden, the dog pound, the couple of vets... no one was missing a MALE but a couple were missing a female... he was definitely a male... NOT liking men in general... but would warm up to them once he felt they were okay. The dog warden said he would come get him and I said NO.... if he was lost and someone was looking for him then I would be glad for him to get back to his rightful owner... until then he could stay with me... but I wanted them to know where he was in case..... never did find an owner and he became my dog, and loved my DS .
I would have cried if someone had shown up and the dog made it obvious he belonged to them... but I would have given him back if it was apparent he had gotten lost from them... AND, I would have probably been more interested in finding another one for me....
Turns out I wound up with one from one of my dairies not too terribly long after that...

Things work out...

Nearly every dog I have wound up with has been someone elses "don't want them" dogs... strays, rejected by the family, left behind at 2 places because they couldn't catch them... because they were mistreated or neglected I think... and have turned out to be very nice, very devoted dogs...