Canesisters 2023 journal - turning my Disasters into Delights

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
Abandoned or rejected dogs are usully abandoned and rejected because the original owner to the "adorable puppy" and then didn't train it. Years ago I bred a litter of Weimaraners (sired by my American and Canadian Champion) I sold one puppy to a coule that had lost their great Dane. They had 2 small children and really loved this dog No problem, right? Previous dog owners of large dogs . . . . At 7 months old they called me to take him back because he was "too rough with the children and too active in the house" Turns out they shoved hm unthe back yard and when the children went out he was so excited to play with them he would jump on them and knock them down. When they did let him in the house it was so seldom that he was totally overcome with excitement and would race around. I took him back and worked with him everyday. In 3 days he learned not to jump on people. At the end of 2 weeks he was heeling and doing sit stay. At the end of a month off leash heeling, sit, down, reliable stay. At least they hadn't called hm and then punished him. His Come was easily made reliable. He was a great dog. Then DH told me that a work friend's dad had lost his German Shorthair pointer. He was a widower and was inconsolable about the dog. We offeredthe dog to him temporarily whie he decided if he wanted to get a puppy. The man hunted and wanted another pointer. My Weimie Champion had a gun dog title. He started training this dog for shooting and when the time came for him to give the dog back he wouldn't part with him. This was what we had all hoped for. He was retired and never went anywhere without that dog.

Along with bad genetics (which can't be cured) sadly many dogs end up in shelters due to bad training or no training on the part of puppy owners. :mad:

BUT many dogs that have not received good training can be rehabilitated. They often become more loyal and loving due to their circumstances.

Give that sweet girl a chance. Her owner may have died and the relatives gave her away. The new owner may have decided they didn't want her and abandoned her.

SageHill

Herd Master
Reaction score
Abandoned or rejected dogs are usully abandoned and rejected because the original owner to the "adorable puppy" and then didn't train it. Years ago I bred a litter of Weimaraners (sired by my American and Canadian Champion) I sold one puppy to a coule that had lost their great Dane. They had 2 small children and really loved this dog No problem, right? Previous dog owners of large dogs . . . . At 7 months old they called me to take him back because he was "too rough with the children and too active in the house" Turns out they shoved hm unthe back yard and when the children went out he was so excited to play with them he would jump on them and knock them down. When they did let him in the house it was so seldom that he was totally overcome with excitement and would race around. I took him back and worked with him everyday. In 3 days he learned not to jump on people. At the end of 2 weeks he was heeling and doing sit stay. At the end of a month off leash heeling, sit, down, reliable stay. At least they hadn't called hm and then punished him. His Come was easily made reliable. He was a great dog. Then DH told me that a work friend's dad had lost his German Shorthair pointer. He was a widower and was inconsolable about the dog. We offeredthe dog to him temporarily whie he decided if he wanted to get a puppy. The man hunted and wanted another pointer. My Weimie Champion had a gun dog title. He started training this dog for shooting and when the time came for him to give the dog back he wouldn't part with him. This was what we had all hoped for. He was retired and never went anywhere without that dog.

Along with bad genetics (which can't be cured) sadly many dogs end up in shelters due to bad training or no training on the part of puppy owners. :mad:

BUT many dogs that have not received good training can be rehabilitated. They often become more loyal and loving due to their circumstances.

Give that sweet girl a chance. Her owner may have died and the relatives gave her away. The new owner may have decided they didn't want her and abandoned her.
That’s what I was thinking also. The owner died and the family just let it go. It happens a lot. She’s got such a kind look on her face ❤️❤️

canesisters

Herd Master
Reaction score
I'm SO excited to meet her tomorrow! I went onto the shelter's facebook page and scrolled until I found her original 'do you know this stray' post. She was picked up near the local military base. It's a training facility with A LOT of folks constantly transferring in and out so there's a fairly good possibility that she was left behind - accidently or otherwise. She was actually found on 5/31 hanging around a pizza joint - see? we already have so much in common! They tracked the microchip. The original owner had given her away and the next person never updated the info.
They shared all over the base's social media & with all of the local vet's offices. I'm fairly confident that if her owner was looking for her she would've been claimed.
I've rescheduled some things that were supposed to happen Sat so that I can spend as much time as Jenny is willing to let me stay there. I'm going to take some treats and a couple of my cat's little blankets. At the moment, the only thing I can imagine that would make it a NO would be if she is aggressive toward cats. I plan to get her smell on the blankets and leave them around the house for my cats to investigate while I get things ready - secure the door where the litter boxes are... figure out where to move the cat's food to.... Then I can get off work early Mon or Wed and pick her up.
We'll have to leash walk for the first several days - which isn't a bad thing at all. I have a few field fence pieces that I can cobble together to make a little bitty potty yard at the back porch until I can get a small roll of field fence on all the 3-board yard fence and a missing gate hung.
🤗🤗🤗🤗🤗

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Agree!! I feel she has been left in an undeserved place in her life. She will be perfect for you!! 🥰 You need each other.

At least you won't need a lot of expensive fence. Just some welded wire on those boards should be enough. She doesn't LOOK to be a trouble maker🤣

I'm excited for you! Take Monday off!!

canesisters

Herd Master
Reaction score
Agree!! I feel she has been left in an undeserved place in her life. She will be perfect for you!! 🥰 You need each other.

At least you won't need a lot of expensive fence. Just some welded wire on those boards should be enough. She doesn't LOOK to be a trouble maker🤣

I'm excited for you! Take Monday off!!
I wish I could take the Monday off. I WISH I could take all of next week - but company policy is 2weeks notice for PTO.
I'm wondering just how far I can push my luck on Tuesday.....
Difficult co-worker & I have been getting along much better lately ... I'm wondering if I can claim that it's her first day out of the shelter and bring her with me. A baby gate at the door to my office.... a bed under the desk..... If she's really quiet and well behaved... 🤔
Then again.. that might be REALLY asking for trouble

SageHill

Herd Master
Reaction score
@canesisters ... She was picked up near the local military base. I...
Wellllll, my first dog - the Boxer - when I was 2 (eons ago) -- we lived on the Army base, her owners were given orders to ship to HI -- back then dogs from the mainland could not go --- so I got her. -- sound sorta similar?! 👍

canesisters

Herd Master
Reaction score
I once took newborn, orphaned, twin goats to work with me! All week :lol: needed bottles several times a day.
I brought a bottle kitten to work for a week - set up a play area using storage boxes. Worked great for a week until the boss walked in one day and saw it.
His response.... 'That's not coming back tomorrow - is it.'
ratatat baby.jpg