Canesisters 2023 journal - turning my Disasters into Delights

canesisters

Herd Master
Reaction score
Polling the wealth of experience here - although you're all a terrible bunch of enablers.....

I have always had a soft spot for boxers. My 'once in a lifetime' dog was a boxer. I want a dog. Some things are changing in my life that MIGHT make a little more room for the time a dog requires. I'd never get a puppy but I would happily give a senior a good ending.....

My backyard is not securely fenced. I work 10-12hr days. Dogs are not cheap.

.... I have a big house for just me & 4 cats. A dog's presence in the yard will likely make many of my varmint visitors go elsewhere.

My friend in animal control has met her & said she is JUST like my Sadie was.....

Screenshot_20230621_181035_Facebook.jpg

SageHill

Herd Master
Reaction score
Polling the wealth of experience here - although you're all a terrible bunch of enablers.....

I have always had a soft spot for boxers. My 'once in a lifetime' dog was a boxer. I want a dog. Some things are changing in my life that MIGHT make a little more room for the time a dog requires. I'd never get a puppy but I would happily give a senior a good ending.....

My backyard is not securely fenced. I work 10-12hr days. Dogs are not cheap.

.... I have a big house for just me & 4 cats. A dog's presence in the yard will likely make many of my varmint visitors go elsewhere.

My friend in animal control has met her & said she is JUST like my Sadie was.....

View attachment 99653
OK - you know me - dog-enabler!! :lol: GO FOR IT.
My first dog as a kid (ahem - 2 yr old me - and I practically stole the dog) was a Boxer. Practical side me says - have her heart checked. Boxers are known for leaky heart valve (no idea what it's officially called). Mine had it (over 60 yrs ago). She lived to a ripe old age of 12??. With the problem she couldn't run - throw a ball and she'd pass out, and come to in a minute. If she has the problem and you can live with that take her home. I'm sure now-a-days there's some $$$$ surgery you can do (not that you or I would on an older dog).
Also, something to know is while they are in the Working Group they are very good herders. I know of many that work sheep and or cattle - they can be gentle or they can be tough OR they can say, nah - not interested. Though usually they are. I instinct tested the Boxer that became the first Boxer Herding Trial Champion. The instinct is definitely there. She was a sweetie, her daughter was tough.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
All right... enabling aside... if your friend has met her and knew your other dog, and feels she is a good fit... then go meet her. I am not a boxer person... I am a German Shepherd person. But I am keeping my eyes open for a possible replacement for my last shepherd... I worry about my yard... needs a fence... I do not work a daily weekly job... but still work some. I would like some companionship sometimes... and my last one went everywhere with me, stayed on the back of the truck or inside with me. Loved kids and people and looked like the most ferocious man eater with her big grin.... and kept the ground hogs out of the garden and unknown people out of the yard.
If you like her, she has had all the "expensive stuff done"... then what about the possibility of one of those invisible fences as opposed to a physical one? I don't know those costs. Could you manage a $3-500 good wire panel pen from somewhere like TSC so that she would have a safe place during the day when you aren't there? Would your dad be willing to come down and take her out sometimes ? Yes... the TSC no interest 6-12 month payment plan might be what getting the card was for since the cattle fence situation was better than you thought...
And possible selling the heifer instead of in the freezer... I can help with the farm fresh beef down the road... ask @Mini Horses in a pm what she honestly thought of our beef... maybe a 1/2 or a 1/4 beef down the road instead of a whole one???

If I were to find out about a shepherd somewhere that was up for adoption, I do not want a puppy either... I would go see her/him.... I could give them a home with some love and freedom to be a dog... and a chance to have a good life with cows and all sorts of other things in their life.
You won't know if you don't go at least see if she is a possible match....
There is a reason your friend told you about her, and sees a possible match for you.

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
She's got a lovely face! Have them get their vet to listen for heart issues...after you visit and consider her. Also, her cat tolerance checked while visiting. Animals can be so much more company than many think, plus a presence to avoid for "visitors" not welcome. If you think it's something you have time to devote to, go for it! One day, I'll bring another dog home myself. 🤣. When I feel the time is right.

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
Absolutely check her out. How old did your friend say she was? Maybe you could fence enough of the yard with cattle panels and T-posts so she can go out to potty without a leash and hang out with you while you sit outside. For added security when you are at work, invest in a kennel run from TSC like Farmerjan suggested. Also a crate while you make sure she is potty trained and won't chew anything up while you are sleeping.