Canesisters 2023 journal - turning my Disasters into Delights

canesisters

Herd Master
Reaction score
SHE LEFT ME!!!!! 🥳

We're not OVER the anxiety, but I feel like this is a big step.
Sitting in the den watching TV. Birdie gets up & goes in the kitchen. I figure she's getting a drink. A while later I realize that she didn't come back. 😱 I go looking.... she's at the far end of the house zonked out in the love seat 😴
🥳

canesisters

Herd Master
Reaction score
20230703_174927.jpg

Been super tired all day
Naps..... because we can.

canesisters

Herd Master
Reaction score
Birdie update.
Long, sorry..
Monday will be 2weeks out of the shelter. And her official 1st vet visit for vaccs, parasites, etc.
Other than an occasional little tinkle on the way out the door when I get home, no more accidents.
Still dealing with the separation anxiety. Yesterday she had chomped the bathroom doorknob & made the little locky-button fall out... which locked her in & me out. Luckily the bedroom has it's own door so I went in that side, found the button-pin thing, unlocked the door & got her outside. Even luckier, she didn't swallow the pin!! There is now a sock soaked in bitter spray on the knob. I left again later for about 1/2hr & the sock was still in place when I got back.
However... I had assumed that what was happening while I was gone was a brief fit when I left & then probably a time of increasing anxiety/frustration as it got close to time for me to come home...
I left a game camera on the bed post just out of curiosity. What I got was dozens of 5sec videos of her on the bed howling... all day long. 🥺 Just broke my heart.
I did a virtual consultation with one of those Chewy .com vets last night & she recommended some calming products (pheromone collar, plug-ins) & said I need to find a certified dog behaviorist.
I'm in the middle of nowhere... I drive an hour to get to Petsmart... it's not like there is a doggy training camp a few blocks away.
Maybe it's still just too soon?? She HAS made sooo much progress. And I can't falt her in any other area except for her - understandable - fear of being left alone.
Going to run BACK to petsmart for the calming collar. And my barn cleaning buddy gave me a bottle of King Calm doggie CBD that well try. Also.. maybe a couple of KONGs stuffed with can food to keep her busy for a while & make my departure "special treat time"
20230708_110217.jpg

SageHill

Herd Master
Reaction score
Yeah - still on the early side, especially considering how far she has come!
Definitely Kongs stuffed with food should help. You can actually stuff them and freeze them as well. Make sure that you use food that doesn't upset her stomach. Also - if you use peanut butter be sure to check the ingredients because some are artificially sweetened (aspartame - kills dogs).
Calming collars ~can work, CBD ~can work (though CBD in my experience has only helped dogs with pain). If it's just her learning and getting used to things I'm not sure if calming things are the right way to go. I don't have experience with that though. I'm sure you're already leaving a radio on for her, that's an old trick.

canesisters

Herd Master
Reaction score
Yeah - still on the early side, especially considering how far she has come!
Definitely Kongs stuffed with food should help. You can actually stuff them and freeze them as well. Make sure that you use food that doesn't upset her stomach. Also - if you use peanut butter be sure to check the ingredients because some are artificially sweetened (aspartame - kills dogs).
Calming collars ~can work, CBD ~can work (though CBD in my experience has only helped dogs with pain). If it's just her learning and getting used to things I'm not sure if calming things are the right way to go. I don't have experience with that though. I'm sure you're already leaving a radio on for her, that's an old trick.
TV on PBS kids. Maybe that's a bit too much 'excitable' sounds 🤔... I didn't consider that. I can only get a few radio stations that aren't vulgar rap. I'll scan & see if one is classical or something similar.

Next on her list, & I'll check at Psmart while I'm there, is to get another roll of the radio wire to get the invisible fence up around the yard fence... which she could jump if she really wanted to.