Canesisters 2023 journal - turning my Disasters into Delights

canesisters

Herd Master
Reaction score
Just finished up my resume... yes.. I DID use company time and at the moment I don't feel the least bit bad about it (that'll come later :rolleyes:) and - if I do say so myself - it looks amazing :D =D
I'd hire me.
Now I've just got to get together my list of "got to have's" - wages, benefits, etc

In addition to the possible position with the folks I talked with last night, my former Ops Manager is checking to see when his company is going to post the opening for Scheduled Maintenance Dispatcher and a good friend who is an assistant manager at a manufacturing plant is going to let me know as soon as a position in their office comes open (which she expects might be soon).

In the meantime, I'll milk my cow and consider the options for getting some meat birds to raise this fall.
Gotta contact the processors and see what options I have for an appointment with Blossom & then start to arrange travel for her too.

SageHill

Herd Master
Reaction score
Well I don't know about pay, or any real details yet.... but I called my friend who's going to be doing our hair & nails during our stay-cation yesterday. She is always trying to get me to let her cut it short. I told her that I was ready to go short because I was about to start job hunting and wanted a new look. 30mins later she texted and asked if I knew how to do spreadsheets. I said yes. Next thing I knew I was on the phone with a gentleman who was looking for an office manager to replace his wife who wants to retire.
I was SOOOoooo unprepared for what turned out to be essentially a phone interview!!! Felt like a fool. But, he was apparently impressed because he said he was really excited and would pass all the info along to the big boss who would call me soon.
It's a 'small family business' that is now in it's 2nd generation of ownership. But he mentioned that part of the job would be communicating with reps from several town, county and corp businesses that they have contracts with ... so maybe not THAT small?
I guess I'll find out more soon.
LOVE This!! That is so awesome. 🤞Gotta love word of mouth.

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Gotta contact the processors and see what options I have for an appointment with Blossom & then start to arrange travel for her too.

Wow, is she that old?? I'm thinking yearling at most. But, never know how booked up they'll be 🤔

I'm considering a pig...not doing chickens. I have pens & shed for couple pigs. Pig can go to processor for "kill & chill" then I can cut & package. Do have # for a guy who will kill & clean out but, so messy. 🥴🤫 I like the hang, age, cold store better. Sooo much easier to cut! Then, there's goat.🙄

canesisters

Herd Master
Reaction score
Wow, is she that old?? I'm thinking yearling at most. But, never know how booked up they'll be 🤔

I'm considering a pig...not doing chickens. I have pens & shed for couple pigs. Pig can go to processor for "kill & chill" then I can cut & package. Do have # for a guy who will kill & clean out but, so messy. 🥴🤫 I like the hang, age, cold store better. Sooo much easier to cut! Then, there's goat.🙄
She was born the week before Thanksgiving, so is only 9months. But with hunting season coming, I've found that it's often MONTHS before I can get a spot. I figure that I'll call & see how their schedule is looking for sometime early spring and then I can start arraigning a ride. The guy who trimmed Eva's hooves gave me his card & said he would do it, but that was some time ago.

murphysranch

Herd Master
Reaction score

Mature workers have a better work ethic than 75% (or more) of the younger generation.. 19 years on the job.... and everyone knows that NO JOB is so wonderful that you go to work singing the 7 dwarfs song with glee going off to work everyday.... so you have stability and dedication to a job....
NO JOB is PERFECT.... but, this may be a very positive step for you.
Sooooo perfectly said, FJ.

canesisters

Herd Master
Reaction score
Prayers my friends...
Yesterday as I was walking Birdie and was coming up the hill to our driveway I saw something blue in the grass near the mailboxes and couldn't figure out what it was. We got a little closer and I realized it was MY DAD flat on his back trying to roll onto his side!!!! We flew up the hill as fast as my bad joints would allow!! He had blood all over his face and couldn't sit up - partly because he was head down on a slope. I was trying to access if he was injured more than just his glasses cutting his face when someone drove by, screeched to a stop, and backed up to help. It was a nice couple & they helped me get him on his feet. He was still very unsteady so the wife pulled the car into the driveway and drove him down to his house. We got him inside and I worried and fussed, cleaned the blood off his face, put antibiotic ointment on the cuts on his nose, cheek and eyebrow from his glasses. He kept insisting that he was fine - reading his mail while I was trying to get the blood cleaned up! I made him promise that he would use the walker from back when he broke his leg... which he holds in front of him and carries around instead of actually USING for support.. :rolleyes:
I made him dinner and stuck around a while, until it became obvious that I was annoying him. He insisted that he was ok. I called him an hour or so later and he still said he was fine, nothing hurt. I couldn't get a hold of my sister until almost 9pm, she called him and said that she was going to take a day off, come get him, take him to the Dr, and to get his glasses fixed. He refused.
This AM he is still saying that he's fine. I'm sure he must have a doozie of a shiner from the 3 cuts around his eye - his brow was already starting to swell a tiny bit last night.
I have mentioned a few times over the past couple of years that I have TWO spare bedrooms and a spare bath and that they can be his anytime he wants them. Just planting the seed of thought that he might need to move in one day...
My Sister will be down most of next week for our 'stay-cation'.. I think it might be time to have a long discussion about him moving up the hill. He has been getting more and more unsteady on his feet for a while now.

And on a separate note... Anytime I go to his house I am shocked by the way he lives.. I understand that men from his generation often never learned to clean house or do much cooking... but it's just gross to me. I've tried hiring a friend with a cleaning business to come once a month - he hated it and stopped it as soon as the contract was up. I've tried doing the cleaning myself so many times and he gets so mean & spiteful (embarrassed maybe?) that I give up. Almost ALL of his food is microwave dinners or heat&eat frozen things like chicken nuggets & instant mashed potatoes. I've tried cooking for him. Filling little TV dinner dishes with actual food that he can keep in his freezer & he would rather have the Hungry Man things. It's not that he doesn't like my cooking, he LOVES our holiday family meals and we usually get him to take several meals home afterwards. Just his pride and independence maybe???
Even without the increasing steadiness issues - I would move him in JUST so that I can make sure he is living in a clean environment and eating well if he'll let me.