Canesisters 2023 journal - turning my Disasters into Delights

canesisters

Herd Master
Reaction score
I'm trying to work out getting to Gilmanor.
My sister will be taking a trip with her hubby this weekend, I don't pick her up until Monday morning. BUT, the big Lewis Ginter Botanical Gardens plant sale is also this Saturday and they are having a special focus on PAWPAWs! 🤗

canesisters

Herd Master
Reaction score
Welp... requested a meeting with the boss this AM. Asked if there was any hope of ever being moved out of the scale house. He said that he didn't see any way that could work BECAUSE I have to be in here to be available to help (work troll) when it gets busy. I said that I can't see myself continuing to work in this toxic environment for the rest of my working life. He said he was sorry to hear that.
I believe that what I heard was " I know that she can't do the job unless you're there to help her. " and " I don't actually believe you'll leave, so I'm not going to do anything about it. "
Been here 19years next month.. 55years old ... and I'm back in the job market again because my boss is a coward and my coworker is a bully. 😥

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
Start looking and let boss know AFTER you have another offer. He will either offer you more money to stay, do something about the other person, or say "Good Luck". At least you will know where you stand and have somewhere to go. Do you have a retirement plan at the scale operation where you are now? After 19 years wouldn't you be almost due to retire with a pension? If so, you might want to try to last it out to retirement then get another job. With regular retirement payments going into your bank account, you could decide whether you want fulltime or part-time work if you need more $$ than yor retirement pays. If you can retire in another year, no need to cut off your nose to spite your face as they say. Have you been keeping a record of all the stuff the co-worker has pulled? Maybe file for early retirement based on emotional abuse?

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Agree....shop, then advise. Also, yes with any retirement!! If there is one, call the controllers and find out status of yrs required, age you can begin to collect, etc. You may have to hold on.

What jobs are available in your area? Go from there. No need to work where you're this stressed and unhappy -- even if it means less $$. I know, that's not good news but, you'll find ways to adjust. I sure did! 😁

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I read an article today in the AARP news paper that companies are rethinking their bias against older workers, BECAUSE there is a shortage of workers and jobs are unfilled. Think outside the box. Apply for a variety of jobs. You will find a better paying position.

canesisters

Herd Master
Reaction score
Well I don't know about pay, or any real details yet.... but I called my friend who's going to be doing our hair & nails during our stay-cation yesterday. She is always trying to get me to let her cut it short. I told her that I was ready to go short because I was about to start job hunting and wanted a new look. 30mins later she texted and asked if I knew how to do spreadsheets. I said yes. Next thing I knew I was on the phone with a gentleman who was looking for an office manager to replace his wife who wants to retire.
I was SOOOoooo unprepared for what turned out to be essentially a phone interview!!! Felt like a fool. But, he was apparently impressed because he said he was really excited and would pass all the info along to the big boss who would call me soon.
It's a 'small family business' that is now in it's 2nd generation of ownership. But he mentioned that part of the job would be communicating with reps from several town, county and corp businesses that they have contracts with ... so maybe not THAT small?
I guess I'll find out more soon.

canesisters

Herd Master
Reaction score
I need to adjust my milking setup some. What I thought would be simple transitions from space to space is NOT simple - yet. Good thing I'm doing this practice time, I'd hate to have had the pressure of trying to get clean milk to the house yesterday evening. :rolleyes: Eva did well with the ACTUAL milking, although I could tell before I got started that there wasn't any point in dirtying up my buckets for the small amount I would've gotten. The milking process is sound & she's a rock star at it. It's the getting them into their respective stalls & then transitioning her into the milking area and back out. That will get smoother as she figures out what I'm trying to get her to do. And seeing her actually moving through the spaces has already made some simplifications - swing the gate wide enough to let her directly out into the entrance area instead of trying to get her to go back in her stall first.
new milking 'room' 9.11.23.jpg

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
The trial runs with the cow will find the little snags in the flow as you already found with the gate... you'll get it...

Things happen for a reason... sounds like this would be a very interesting job... wife wanting to retire so "older mature workers" not a deterrent at all... You have skills with dealing with people... yes, guys and such with the hauling, BUT... you have been using EXCEPTIONAL SKILLS and DIPLOMACY dealing with the co-worker for HOW LONG??
Give yourself some credit....
Mature workers have a better work ethic than 75% (or more) of the younger generation.. 19 years on the job.... and everyone knows that NO JOB is so wonderful that you go to work singing the 7 dwarfs song with glee going off to work everyday.... so you have stability and dedication to a job....
NO JOB is PERFECT.... but, this may be a very positive step for you.

The biggest things are how far to and from work, and although we all hate to admit to it... BENEFITS have to be a big consideration.... you want all you have now PLUS MORE... compensation of some sort has to be as good as you have....might not be in money... flexibility in hours or something might be a better plus than more money... retirement account with some sort of match from the company.... I still take mine.. it is only a match up to 5% of my pay...BUT that is free money handed to me every 2 weeks so I put that much into my retirement account... gonna get all I can... and I used a big portion of it as the downpayment on this house as that is "making me more interest" than the account was at times... the thing of it is, you have to see what they offer... and then weigh what it might mean in making your life better...
Top it off with not dealing with the back stabbing BS of an immature whiney co-worker...
PLUS..... you are not "taking anyone's job away" from them... so shouldn't be any animosity from co-workers either... if there was a person in the company that wanted the job they would have already applied for it or at the very least, it would be "common knowledge" that so and so wants to move into this job if it ever becomes available.....so you ought to be home free from any kind of BS along those lines...

HOPE you get the phone call and you at least go for an in person interview....:fl
Might not even have to cut your hair!!!!!!;)

Latest posts