Canesisters 2023 journal - turning my Disasters into Delights

SageHill

Herd Master
Reaction score
More bite is better for cattle herding. Probably Winifred's pups would have made terrific cattle dogs. Maybe Birdie is a distant relation!

Birdie is turning into a fantastic dog.
Actually more bite usually doesn’t help. Well timed and placed is good, anything else usually sets up a confrontation and the job doesn’t get done.
Ya never know, she could be! Some of Pip and Freddie’s offspring did head east. There other other good Boxers out there too 😊❤️

canesisters

Herd Master
Reaction score
The weather has been lovely today. I got a bunch of the mowing done yesterday evening - while Miss Birdie sat her tail in the kennel. The past few days she has started barking the moment I pull in and won't stop for a long time, waiting to be let out. Yesterday she sat there looking puzzled while I did the mowing. Then I asked her to sit while I approached the kennel. It took a long time with lots of stepping forward, turning around and stepping back a few steps, asking her to sit, doing it over and over - but she DID manage to sit until the gate was opened. THEN - ZOOMIES!!!!!
An old friend asked if she could bring her grand daughter over to see the farm Monday, so I've got to get the place cleaned up, maybe stock up on some apples to slice for the cows and a bag of bird seed so she can hand feed the chickens.

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
DS3 raised a couple replacement heifers from bottle calves. The first one was a preemie Holstein. Our dairy friend offered her to us because they didn't think she would survive. DS3 wanted to take a chance on her and we had plenty of goat milk. The calf survived and DS3 took her to the Fair for 2 years - as a calf and again as a heifer and did really well with her in the show and in showmanship. Our dairy friend's boys showed him how to fit her and shave her legs and tail, etc.

When she came in season the first time, I kept telling the kids to go out and feed her not realizing that the constant bawling was her calling for a handsome bull. LOL Her screams echoed over the hills and far away.

When she had come into heat a couple times DS3 sold her back to the dairy friends for breeding. She was a good heifer and went into their dairy herd. He loved raising his cows.

SageHill

Herd Master
Reaction score
My passion flower vine is producing fruit like crazy this year! In the past, the 1 or 2 that get any size just dry up on the vine while green. I did a little googling and see that they are ripe when they turn orange and fall off on their own.
Anybody ever get any fruit from one of these? Is it good? What did you make with it?
View attachment 101177

This is the arch that the cows keep coming under - going from the lush, lovely grass that you can see to get into a mowed, weedy area closer to the house... :rolleyes:
And that upside-down tomato cage over next to the chicken yard is 'protecting' that ornamental tree that Eva has butchered every summer....
Your Passion Vine looks GREAT!!! I had rows of them at the old house. Miss them. Trying to get them going here too.

SageHill

Herd Master
Reaction score
Found a couple more of Pip ....
_CPM4593.jpg

_CPM8906.jpg

canesisters

Herd Master
Reaction score
The seeds from the little survivor tomato are drying on a paper plate.
Spent most of Sat cleaning up for visitors, then got a call that it's going to be HOT Monday so they would rather come next week. Spent most of Sunday at my best friend's house cheering her up and watching a movie - Cruella, was ok. Spent most of Monday in the recliner loving on fur-babies and eating WAY too much junk.

@SageHill I found a whole page of Pip vids & even an interview with her Mom/trainer

Last edited:

canesisters

Herd Master
Reaction score
Your Passion Vine looks GREAT!!! I had rows of them at the old house. Miss them. Trying to get them going here too.
I don't know how they'd ship.. but I've got them coming up all over the place. I'll gladly send you a sprout or two.
I've tried 2 different clematis on this trellis and both have been just pitiful, so I'm digging up the passion flower & moving them. Hopeful that they just MIGHT produce enough to make a jar or 2 of jam.... IF they ever ripen.