Canesisters 2024 journal

canesisters

Herd Master
Reaction score
The back rub seems to do a pretty good job. I've got it strung across the back door of the barn. She likes to come in & lay down during the middle of the day. It's low enough that she had to duck low to get under it - so it gets good contact from head to tail. And there are enough of the long flaps that her face, ears & sides get a coating too. It smells horrible, and needs to be recharged with more mineral oil & mixture about every 3-4 weeks; but it's worth it to see her in the pasture with just the few occasional flys instead of a blanket of stable flys & a mob of horse flies all over.

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
Perhaps I can macrame a harness from hay string & attach an old bike w/training wheels.
When DS3 was 10 years old he raised 4 premature kids). We allowed him to one buck as a wethered pet because he wanted to try training a goat to pull a cart. It was a Nubian, grew very large, and he named it Goatzilla. We bought an inexpensive nylon goat cart harness and he tried to teach it to drive. Goatzilla would not pull anything away from the house but would pull anything back up the road to come home. DS3 did not have a cart and I would not buy one for him. Instead DS3 used electrical tape to fashion a "cart" from a skateboard and a beach chair. He would harness Goatzilla to the beach chair, walk him to the bottom of our steep 1/2 mile road, sit in the beach chair and "drive" Goatzilla up the hill to our house. Eventually Goatzilla learned that if he stopped midway and grazed, DS3 couldn't do much about it. DS3 had to start taking one of the horse lunge whips with him to "encourage" Goatzilla. DS2 joined in the fun often. Occasionally, if Goatzilla decided to run uphill around one of the hairpin bends, the "cart" would tip over and spill the rider onto the road. Both DS3 and DS2 thought that was hilarious. Both boys thoroughly enjoyed that summer.

canesisters

Herd Master
Reaction score
Soooo.... something is 'up' at work. I volunteered to work the Fri after the 4th. Not my crew, was told I'd be filling in in the creel. Arrived to find that me AND the night crew Beamer operator had been called in (only takes 1) along with a night crew creel operator. Suddenly we were over staffed. Both of us just pretty much just babysat the Beamer all day. Monday AM I'm being called aside by the upper mgt. all morning asking who was here Fri? Who did what? Did the supervisor do this or that?
Weird....

We were supposed to be working on a set of special orders all week. Instead, the expected 6hr changeover/setup took almost all of two 12hr shifts. It was exhausting. 110° - 112° heat index & constant problem solving (making 💩 up). Thinking of @Baymule & thankful to have AC to retreat to!

I'm supposed to have already cross-fenced to pasture to take advantage of this rain & grow an acre of grass. But nothing has happened around here other than topping off water, feeding, showering & going to bed. Off today but still in PJs. Coffee it's goooood.
Trash run, groceries, laundry & dishes soon. Cross-fencing this evening!! Even if I have to do it by flashlight.

canesisters

Herd Master
Reaction score
This was our 'long week' at work - Mon, Tues, Fri-Sun. The heat is HARD. Anyone have any creative suggestions to help deal with it?
Sweat pouring well before 9am. Soaked through shortly after that. Jean shorts so wet that they are squeaking when I walk or bend down. Running down my face so much that I'm snorting sweat up my nose when I breathe.
I've started keeping an empty Ice Breakers mints container filled with powder in my pocket filled so I can 'dry off' a tiny bit & momentarily stop my clothes from sticking to me every time I go into the bathroom.
I've tried those cooling towels. Even after freezing them, they quickly feel like a hot moist hand on the back of my neck. 😵‍💫
Considering standing over the emergency chemical shower drain & pouring cold water over my head a few times a day.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I worked in welding and machine shops where temperature would reach 120 degrees. Add long sleeves, steel toed boots, jeans, safety gear and a fan blowing that hot air around… I get where you are coming from.

There’s not a lot you can do. Drink plenty fluids and look forward to fall.

canesisters

Herd Master
Reaction score
I got offered a 'permanent' position!!!! 🎉🎉🎉
No longer a temp!!!
I had to go in early to get drug tested & fill out a whole new set of on-boarding paperwork.
Benefits at last!! 😁

Although, I'm a little anxious about my team mate finding out. My crew is tiny. All the others have 4 or 5 people plus a supervisor. We have 3 total. Me, a guy who's been there a LOT longer, & our supervisor. When he finds out they offered me the position & skipped him I'm afraid there's going to be a huge attitude.
But.... hopefully he won't direct it at me.
If he got there early every day instead of a couple mins late.... maybe he would have already made permanent. 🤷‍♀️

On a different note.
I've been on some kind of hyper-fixation house nesting kick. Cleaning every room, literally from the ceiling down. Moving furniture around & from room to room.
I just got done covering an old area rug with cow print upholstery fabric that I never used. Now I've got a cow print rug in the den.
..... and that made the ottoman look bad so I dug out an old sheet & recovered that....

It's 11:30!!!! Why am I recovering an ottoman at 11pm? Same reason I'm digging through all my old pillow cases to see if I can come up with matches to make covers for the chair pads in the dining room.... 🤷‍♀️