Canesisters 2024 journal

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Congrats on the "promotion" to permanent... that is great. Your work ethic, and ability to "pick this job up " and do it shows. That is wonderful for you. Benefits, and all that makes a psychological difference... I am so glad for your sake.

Maybe I need to do something different with work, get some sort of a mental "boost" to get motivated here at the house.... cleaning and such... although I have been walking around and looking at some of the things I want to try to get done this fall.... been looking at and "laying out the fencing " so I can get the posts put in. Where I want gates and such... because I do want to have some calves here or maybe a nurse cow/milk cow.
And I have looked at some counter top stuff and different sinks to get this kitchen done... really getting tired of it and maybe it would help me to be more productive in the kitchen if I "liked" the kitchen....

canesisters

Herd Master
Reaction score
... because I do want to have some calves here or maybe a nurse cow/milk cow.
And I have looked at some counter top stuff and different sinks to get this kitchen done... really getting tired of it and maybe it would help me to be more productive in the kitchen if I "liked" the kitchen....
Some things I always wish I had when I was in the milking seasons:
A DEEP sink. Preferably separate from the kitchen sink. Having to wash 2gal bucket, funnel, strainer, 1/2gal jars & lids, etc in my shallow sink 2x daily sucked.
WAY too many cheap white wash cloths. Eva was always pretty clean & I could usually get by with 4 cleaning cloths for her utter per milking but I was still having to run the washer more than I wanted. Enough cloths for a week - expecting at least a couple of dirty days where I'd need 2x more.
A spare fridge. Even though my girl didn't produce the 'usual' 3-5gals per milking that a pure dairy girl can, it was amazing how fast the ENTIRE bottom of the fridge would fill with 1/2gal jars!
A rolling cart with mesh basket type shelves. My counters were always covered with drying buckets & such. I always wanted a drying cart that I could stack everything in & roll to some out of the way corner to drip dry over a towel.

Two things I had that I could not function without:
A 5 gallon bucket with a tool organizer around the outside. A good height to sit while milking & keep everything that I would need tucked in right within reach AND I could put my milk bucket in it for the trip back to the house. Everything in one hand!
A yoga mat. Since I don't have a dedicated, hard floored milking space I milked in the stall. I had a couple of stall mats positioned to give me a sweep-able working area. But being able to lay down a mat to sit everything on that I could dunk in soapy water & hose off quickly after every use made me feel like I was keeping a much cleaner milking area (and prevented the heebe-jeebies from thinking about washing my dishes where a bucket that had sat on a dirt stall floor had been 🤢)

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Thanks. The kitchen sink is a definite "going to be replaced" as I have that "connected corner sink", 90 degrees angled to each other, that is shallow and totally useless...can't even get my bigger roasting pan in it, flat, to wash it. It is in the "corner, cannot stand square to either one to just wash dishes, so going to change things a little with reinstalling a bigger sink... would like as large a double sink as I can get, but might just go with one large one... I know all about fighting a too small, too shallow sink.
Extra fridge is also on the list...garden vegs and eggs as well as milk.....
Have to redo counter tops as they are old formica and peeling/lifting there around the sink from water getting underneath. I don't want to spend for all new cabinets so a new top and new sink will make them "doable". Need some sliders for the bottoms since I cannot get down on my knees like I normally would before the replacements.
Years of having milk cows has pretty well given me some insights like you had, on what would be more practical.

canesisters

Herd Master
Reaction score
Nesting
🤣😂

So here's the nest so far.
20240720_194141.jpg

20240720_194224.jpg

20240720_194322.jpg

20240720_194352.jpg

20240720_194415.jpg

20240720_194437.jpg