Canesisters 2024 journal

canesisters

Herd Master
Reaction score
The woman training me had the 'so how do YOU think it's going' talk with me today.
She has concerns that I'm not making near enough progress & making way to many mistakes.
... then, flustered, I go & make a mistake entering something we had JUST take about.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I hope things get better. You were at the old job for so long that you didn’t have to worry about it. Maybe you are trying too hard and anxiety is making you doubt yourself. Use the upcoming weekend to do something special for yourself and relax.

canesisters

Herd Master
Reaction score
... time to start putting in applications EVERYWHERE - I think.

The problem is - and has been - that I'm expected to learn things just because they happen in the room where I'm sitting. Earlier this week I was 'fussed at' because I didn't know that I could find invoice copies in a file cabinet that I have not had any reason to look in - and that are put there by someone doing a different job.
It's gotten to the point that I'm almost afraid to ask questions because I 'should know this'. And when I ask for her to slow down so I can make notes or repeat something; she often just runs through it as fast as possible : "Ok.. you take this, this, this and this add them together and enter them here and that's where the total on page 2 comes from and then you just do that for all the products. Then you print that out, make 3 copies. 1 goes there, 1 goes here, 1 goes to the address on page 3. Make sure you use the right address! You've done this before."
I used to feel like a confident person most of the time. But now I'm a twitchy, stammering, deer-in-the-headlights staring wreck who's prone to crying in the bathroom. I feel stupid, demoralized and completely incapable of making a right decision.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Do some looking, get your resume together, and do the best you can. ASK the questions, and if they become impatient like over the invoices, tell them straight up that you have had absolutely no reason to have gone in that file cabinet so you can not be expected to just "know these things"...
A job that looked pretty good has turned into something that is maybe not in your comfort zone. If they cannot TRAIN YOU PROPERLY, that is on them. They are expecting you to learn it all by osmosis, and just fall right into it... because they have had it that way from forever.... if it is not what you enjoy, the best thing is to try to find something you can feel comfortable doing... change is NOT ALL BAD.... but this just may not be a fit for you. There are other jobs....

Any new thoughts on the heifer???? Things staying status quo with the fences and all that at home? Hoping for good results with Birdie's upcoming surgery.

SageHill

Herd Master
Reaction score
What @farmerjan said.
It would be really hard, but maybe starting out the day with asking what they want you to? Anything that is not on the radar (like you said about the files)? Write a quick outline of what, then as you do it make notes (including questions that come up) then at the end of the day (enough before quitting time) do a quick summary with them/whoever.
You can always bring in something like donuts or cookies as an icebreaker (aka peace offering). Take the bull by the horns be the first to say something - that keeps you out of the defensive mode. And we all know that the easiest thing is to be quiet as a mouse (yeah - I know, been there, done that).

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
If they cannot TRAIN YOU PROPERLY, that is on them.
You might want to stay late one day and familiarize yourself with contents of cabinets, files, where different forms are, etc. Maybe offer to take a fellow worker to dinner than night and have them stay to show you stuff.

The more worried you are the less you will retain.