Chopping corn

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I know some of you are new to cattle so, yesterday when we were chopping the corn off for corn silage I took some pics.

Here is a pic of the area we were working in. The pink X is the field we were in and the purple X is where the pile is going.
Farmphoto-forchoppingthread.jpg

How we setup for the pile using round bales:
pilesetup.jpg

Tractor, chopper, and chopper box:
Tractorchopperwagon.jpg

Unloading:
Unloading1.jpg

Unloading2.jpg

wynedot55

Old Bull
Reaction score
i loved your pics of chopping the corn.an blowing it in the stack.your pics make me miss having the dairy even more.thanks for posting them.

wynedot55

Old Bull
Reaction score
we only grew wheat for winter grazing an hay.we tryed baleage once in the early 80s.used a tube wrapper.the tubes was 200ft long.an they would hold 40 bales.the varrmitts tore the plasttic an ruined alot of the baleage.

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
They say to put the tubes (or catapillers as we call them here) on sludge if you have mice, rats, etc. Supposedly they don't like the feel and won't cross on it. Never have tried it so I don't know. We usually do the pile.

wynedot55

Old Bull
Reaction score
my dad loved trying new things like that.we even combined our wheat for 3 or 4yrs.

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Here's a pic of what the pile looked like when we got done Sunday night-taken today after the rain went threw.

PileatendofSunday.jpg

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
DH got two more loads chopped lastnight and there is probably that left out there.

After all the fieldwork is done, DH has wagons to fix. We went down one hay rack right away due to the stringers and beams being shot. Then the chopper box Sunday evening. Now the other chopperbox has a bearing going out. He says it will be okay to finish but, will need to be replaced before we use it next year.

There is a tractor with an oil leak. The pickup with several problems. It never seems to end. I am thankful that it is the equipment giving us problems though. That you can fix. If it were the cattle, that is much harder. You doctor and doctor them and sometimes you still loose them. Those that you don't loose have been set back and you feel bad for them. So thankfully, the only trouble with the cattle has been a few hoof abcesses that I believe were caused by the wet and cold we had late spring and early summer. :fl

Latest posts