CntryBoy777 - The Lazy A** Acres Adventures

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
because many think they can still drive as usual until they start skidding
Sadly people here seem to forget how to drive from one winter to the next. And it is usually the dolts in 4WD SUVs that you see off the road. Hey, I got 4WD, no need to slow down:thAnd, of course they forget that 4WD doesn't stop any better on a slick road than 2WD so they spin out just as well. But all new vehicles starting a couple of years ago are required to have anti-skid control so that helps. The vehicle figures out it isn't going the direction the driver is turning the wheel and applies braking to the 4 wheels independently WAY faster than a human can react. Just keep your foot on the brake pedal and let the "intelligent being" in the vehicle save your bacon.

Pastor Dave

Herd Master
Reaction score
I came to figure out that the anti skid on my 2011 Chevy Equinox will not allow the car to pull through heavier snow once it senses the wheels slip. It brakes to avoid skidding and therefore, no AWD action that is needed at that moment. I push the button to disengage the anti skid if there is "deep" snow. It works well otherwise.

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
That sounds not like anti skid but traction control. TC keeps the drive wheels from spinning, anti skid applies brakes on various wheels so the vehicle can change direction while it is moving but not in the direction the driver wants.

Once the TC kicks in on the Prius it is all over. Need to back up and get a bit of speed to go further because there is no "off" switch. This is presumably to keep the electric motor from burning out IIRC. Everyone who drives in snow needs good snow tires. The OEM Goodyear "Integrity" tires on my 2004 Prius, not 3 months old, would slide coming to a stop on roads that had been plowed and had a small amount left. Took those off ASAP and put on real tires. Couldn't wait for those to wear out after a few summers so I could buy REAL tires. They shouldn't sell those anywhere, they slid on small amounts of sand/gravel on paved roads as well.

I have "powered" through snow in my Prius that taller, heavier vehicles couldn't go through with the 2 steps forward, 1 back, repeat process. Probably because they kept trying to go further but succeeded only in digging a deeper hole under their vehicles until the frame was parked on the snow. Of course one does need a LOT of snow for that to happen. That particular day was 28" in 12 hours. Town and city plows couldn't keep up. Yeah I stayed at work too late ;)

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
The OEM Goodyear "Integrity" tires on my 2004 Prius, not 3 months old, would slide coming to a stop on roads that had been plowed and had a small amount left. Took those off ASAP and put on real tires. Couldn't wait for those to wear out after a few summers so I could buy REAL tires. They shouldn't sell those anywhere, they slid on small amounts of sand/gravel on paved roads as well.

OEM tires are chosen more for quietness and smooth ride during test drives at the dealership than anything else.

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
I don't disagree in general but I think these were chosen for CHEAP! Besides, back in 2004 there weren't even any to test drive in a lot of places, putting real tires on wouldn't have changed sales at all. I got lucky in that I was able to rent one from Enterprise for a week before they got super popular. 2004 was a redesign year. By mid 2004 they were all wait listed, couldn't buy one off the lot. I had refundable deposits at 4 dealerships. First one with a car in model and color I would accept wins. I expected to wait 4-5 months, got lucky, only 6 weeks. I told the salesman more by far about the car (from reading PriusChat) than he knew when I picked mine up. The farthest he ever got to drive one was from the unloading area into the "prep" shop and to the customer up front, never off the lot.

Toyota could have spent an extra $20/tire and saved their customers a lot of grief and money. My wife's cousin got a 2005 that he was considering trading in for something else because of the wheel slip going from dirt/gravel parking lots to paved road ... until I told him to get real tires. They still have the Prius.

CntryBoy777

Herd Master
Reaction score
Made the trip and picked up Gabbie.... IMAG2853.jpg ...this was after she settled down a bit....and this was about a half mile from the house....IMAG2857.jpg ...and this one is in her area getting a bite to eat and some water....IMAG2859.jpg ....anx then she had to go and play in the leaves...IMAG2863.jpg ...it didn't take all the animals long before they all noticed there was something New running around.....:)