Coffee anyone ?

Skiesblue

Herd Master
Reaction score
Sounds like the Marans needs to be stuck in jail.

Sooooo... what color Wyandotte are you going to go with? :pop
I’ve had silver and gold laced Wyandottes and got some interesting chicks when the Cemani rooster got into the girl’s dorm. Wy’s were my early chickens and I completely took for granted their easy care and good nature. Maybe a Wy rooster can dilute the velociraptor genes. :lol:

Skiesblue

Herd Master
Reaction score
And, talking of chickens...

@Skiesblue wouldn't a Mediterranean breed be better suited to Texas?

Like... leghorns, or ...... ?
It would seem so except for the rogue cold snaps we have here. Even in this part of E Tx we have near zero temps for a few days. Last winter alligators froze (don’t know why they didn’t snoodle up with a book in a bunker on the Sabine River). An all round hot cold bird with decent egg count and a sunny disposition is what I’m after.

SageHill

Herd Master
Reaction score
It would seem so except for the rogue cold snaps we have here. Even in this part of E Tx we have near zero temps for a few days. Last winter alligators froze (don’t know why they didn’t snoodle up with a book in a bunker on the Sabine River). An all round hot cold bird with decent egg count and a sunny disposition is what I’m after.
There’s the old Barred Rock. Kinda boring but everyone I’ve had was sweet. I’ve had good luck with Welsummers - though they are a bit standoffish. Not crazy though.

Margali

Herd Master
Reaction score
Today sucked. Apparently my thyroid meds were off on low enough that heart issue started back up. And, I got a migraine with new symptoms that was super scary. Okay now after IV migraine meds but apparently everyone thought I was having a stroke when hubby took me to ER. Not the birthday present I wanted...

Alaskan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Australops and Orpingtons both have a reputation for being laid back and all around good birds.

I have had Leghorns up here, and they did great in the cold. They were unhappy when we got to -20F, but they did fine. Zero heat, and none died.

You do have to be careful though with who you get, breeder-wise. They can be very cannibalistic, and love to flog.... or, they can be a bit flighty, excellent foragers, excellent mother's. Point is... HUGE range. I had Leghorns for years, I did have to cull strongly for personality at first... but then had an excellent flock... 1 in every 10 to 15 hens would become the most excellent, fierce, and highly successful mother.

Alaskan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Today sucked. Apparently my thyroid meds were off on low enough that heart issue started back up. And, I got a migraine with new symptoms that was super scary. Okay now after IV migraine meds but apparently everyone thought I was having a stroke when hubby took me to ER. Not the birthday present I wanted...
Yeah, AGE! My birthday present this year was finding out I was losing my sight. Well, it was the day before my birthday...

But, things got better!

I hope your week improves! :hugs