Coffee anyone ?

Weldman

Herd Master
Reaction score
What would life be without surprises???

Hot, so chores & headed to work. Almost there, suddenly LF went wonky like I ran over/in something 😳. Lucky I was just 50' into a big parking area at an Exxon. Waiting on tow truck. The 3 holes in upper left & lower right should be bolted together 🥴

At least I have a car at home...
Looks dry, the nipple needs some grease too on that ball joint. Very odd on the bolts in the lower control arm also, not matching for starters is why it looks off and they never use nylon lock nuts in automotive the silver one. Needs to be lock washer on it and either a locking flange nut or a locking washer under the nut. Which looks like one is upside down from the other one.

IMG_20240709_1315313555.jpg

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Thanks @Weldman .... Will check those things. It "appears" these ball joints are reasonably newer -- just bought the old truck in Jan -- had looked at the actual ball joint 2 months back, looking for another adjustment...but not intensely. Now, after this, I'm thinking someone had changed out previously and used wrong bolts/ nuts or even left one off 🤷 now, both sides & all bolts (upper & lower) are being looked at. 😳. I did feel the psgr side while waiting for tow. Tire not turned out for visual but did feel all 3 bolts in and tight to hand. Tomorrow job 😁 will look at control arms & all that.

It's a 1997. Low miles verified and good condition overall. 👍

Weldman

Herd Master
Reaction score
Thanks @Weldman .... Will check those things. It "appears" these ball joints are reasonably newer -- just bought the old truck in Jan -- had looked at the actual ball joint 2 months back, looking for another adjustment...but not intensely. Now, after this, I'm thinking someone had changed out previously and used wrong bolts/ nuts or even left one off 🤷 now, both sides & all bolts (upper & lower) are being looked at. 😳. I did feel the psgr side while waiting for tow. Tire not turned out for visual but did feel all 3 bolts in and tight to hand. Tomorrow job 😁 will look at control arms & all that.

It's a 1997. Low miles verified and good condition overall. 👍
Lets see a 1997 with 3.9 V6 before they went to Pentastar engines, yeah I know the ins and out of that truck just looking at the body. I would look at it closer as my memory serves me right there was standard bolts on that truck, the one next to the one I just pointed out is a metric bolt with that 8.8 stamped on the head which is metric measurement of the grade of the bolt.
IMG_20240709_1315313556.jpg

My concern is cause they were loose so long they waddle the holes especially where my arrow points at I can see the metal pushing up.
IMG_20240709_1315313558.jpg

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Alignment & 4 new tires already in plans for 1st week of Aug. Will address these "unplanned" issues first. Had new headliner set up for late next week in car, may hold off depending on what's needed on this. $$ budgeting -- congress doesn't fund me! 🤣

So it's daylight, a pleasant 75 for a couple more hrs. Fresh pot of coffee, truck jacked up & waiting. Those skeeters didn't let me get further last night. How much better could it be?? :lol: (Already fixed would be!! :D =D )

Now to juggle my job work schedule based on fix time and mood I'm in. No biggie. It'll all work out. This Sat is livestock auction. I've got 4 little goat bucklings I hope to take -- no real concern on $$ they bring, just want them gone! Then, no dealing with these extras. Otherwise, need to castrate.🫤🤔 Selling is easier.😉
My list is growing. :th

Weldman

Herd Master
Reaction score
Alignment & 4 new tires already in plans for 1st week of Aug. Will address these "unplanned" issues first. Had new headliner set up for late next week in car, may hold off depending on what's needed on this. $$ budgeting -- congress doesn't fund me! 🤣

So it's daylight, a pleasant 75 for a couple more hrs. Fresh pot of coffee, truck jacked up & waiting. Those skeeters didn't let me get further last night. How much better could it be?? :lol: (Already fixed would be!! :D =D )

Now to juggle my job work schedule based on fix time and mood I'm in. No biggie. It'll all work out. This Sat is livestock auction. I've got 4 little goat bucklings I hope to take -- no real concern on $$ they bring, just want them gone! Then, no dealing with these extras. Otherwise, need to castrate.🫤🤔 Selling is easier.😉
My list is growing. :th
Don't need alignment unless you change the control arms out. Bolting that ball joint back in if the damage isn't too bad won't need alignment.

Latest posts