Coffee anyone ?

SageHill

Herd Master
Reaction score
It ain't y'all forgot, it's y'all had a heavy dose of coffee and all jacked up on caffeine so your fingers are just floating across the keys.

Was going to get the dump truck out, but forgot I like to let the sealant to sit a 24 hr period before refilling fluids unless it's formulated for such. Though all is in and ready to go.
Birds have gotten so skittish they have to be shoved out the door in the mornings now, then again in 30 minutes. Started today closing the door behind them and wife will open it when she gets home as I never know on my schedule. No eggs in 3 days when we use to get over a dozen a day.
Don't know about your birds, but my chickens definitely lay less in the fall and winter - so there's that.

Weldman

Herd Master
Reaction score
Don't know about your birds, but my chickens definitely lay less in the fall and winter - so there's that.
It has been going on the past 2 months. First thought it was heat, then thought it was Pooch since we caught him in the coop, both are gone and still no eggs. Then we found those loose dogs and it started making sense. These ducks laid till it got to -20°F

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Heat will cause them to stop laying, for sure. Disruptions will, too --a move, a predator. Now, mine are "considering" molting. Yeah, from a dz to one yesterday. Soooo...looking for a hidden nest. Or whatever.

Body woke at 5:30, it was done with sleep. :idunno dark out, so deciding what to begin with for today. Feeling hungry -- maybe it's breakfast time. I know I will open a gate & move goats today. There's that 10 min job. We got a few more sprinkles at dusk. Hope that's all, not more. Won't know until I get out there later. Then I can address plans. Need to mow the yard after grass dries off. And need to get diesel for tractor. Can do that early. See that list starting? 🤣Before coffee even! What will happen after ? 😳. Ya never know! 😁 ;)

Weldman

Herd Master
Reaction score
Heat will cause them to stop laying, for sure. Disruptions will, too --a move, a predator. Now, mine are "considering" molting. Yeah, from a dz to one yesterday. Soooo...looking for a hidden nest. Or whatever.

Body woke at 5:30, it was done with sleep. :idunno dark out, so deciding what to begin with for today. Feeling hungry -- maybe it's breakfast time. I know I will open a gate & move goats today. There's that 10 min job. We got a few more sprinkles at dusk. Hope that's all, not more. Won't know until I get out there later. Then I can address plans. Need to mow the yard after grass dries off. And need to get diesel for tractor. Can do that early. See that list starting? 🤣Before coffee even! What will happen after ? 😳. Ya never know! 😁 ;)
Definitely been looking for hidden nests with maybe rogue egg here or there and have found onesies and twosies rarely.

Today dump truck moves out and another livestock shelter gets started on building it.
Fire weather warning today, less than 9% humidity predicted today, drier than a popcorn fart.

Last edited:

SageHill

Herd Master
Reaction score
Going to be another hot one today 100+ yet again.
Big fire on Camp Pendleton because it's on government land it seems we don't get updates on it as much as other fires. Heard it was approaching 1000 acres yet Watch Duty says ..... 25 acres. Umm yeah right-to -- NOT. On a 4am out with Ree this is what I could see...
IMG_7961 (1).JPEG

orange in the middle of the mountain is that fire (actually behind another mountain). Winds are right,
and it is far away so there is no worry here. It would have to go up and down a few mountains and plow
through a few towns and lots of homes and a freeway to get here.
Last week - before the heat and puppy craziness set in I found ..... in my chicken coop........... an egg eater....
one of the Easter Eggers was eating an egg. No wonder I'm finding fewer and fewer brown eggs. Me thinks
she's headed for the pot - or maybe I'll take her to the back of the ranch and let her fend for herself. If she were
to somehow find her way back up - I might give her another chance. Still have to do something, just not enough
time in my still sleep deprived state.

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Brrrrrr!!! 47 outside this morning 😳 I shut those windows fast. :old I'm cold! 68 inside even and I'm not good with that. Cool down is ok but, right into cold? No! Not ok. :confused:

Got yard cut yesterday. Good job and didn't take too long. This mower has a 54" cut -- that goes pretty fast. Recent buy.

Plans for today up in air. All I can think is "get warm":lol:

Weldman

Herd Master
Reaction score
It's 57°F here with a high of 97°F, typical temperature swings. Got dump truck out and started livestock shelter. I was thinking about my current place of work and was reverting back to my old days of calculations if I work this many hours I get this much and that I should not get off work early to build those livestock shelters. Now I'm thinking, clock in 30 hours however and any other hours should be spent building these livestock shelters to make more than they ever will pay me for my time.
After all at 30 hours a week I'm getting more done than the 50 hour work employee that use to work there.
Essentially change my work balance to leans towards my business not theirs.

tjo804

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
SHOULD I BE CONCERNED??
I milked Gigi this morning and I wasnt getting my usual warm fuzzy from her, I took her temp and she is a 100.4 F
she normally runs 102 F It is a bit chilly this morning, low to mid 60's