Dairy goat leasing?

freemotion

Self Sufficient Queen
Reaction score
Remember, that reply was from ONE person, not the entire group. Don't give up. Find a meeting to attend and talk to people, even if it is in the parking lot! Go to your local feed stores and find out who has goats in the area. Talk to your local large animal vets (not the best resource for this, but worth a shot.) People lead to people.

My first reaction to your question was "NO WAY! But it quickly turned to "Hmmmmm......this could be good!" so don't give up yet. Meeting people in person will be very helpful. (If you have facial piercings, take them out first, IMO, when meeting people for the first time that you want to impress. And dress conservatively. Once they know you, you can do whatever you want. This is from an old f art who owns goats!)

Bicycle

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Is a livestock show a good place to meet people, or are they too busy there? I live right next to the county fairgrounds, and they always seem to have shows going on. Also, there are lots of ads on the local Craigslist by college students that want to be Working Students(the descriptions sound pretty much the same as the "lease" I'm talking about), and I might post an ad. Any opinions or experiences?

blufftonboers

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
We do a partial lease every year for area youth. We have a set of rules that the families have to look over and sign they include having to come out to feed, bed, water, and walk the animal. Also when medication needs to be given or hoof triming we have them come out to help hold the animal so they can see how it is done. I don't charge them anything if it is my goat and they are just wanting the experience. But they need to full experience that is why I ask that they come to take care of the goat.

I also have some families that rent my barn and that is a differnt story. They pay for feed, vet bills, etc. and still come daily to feed.

Do you live in Ohio? I would let you come out look over our goats and we could talk about a possible rent of a goat only thing is they are boer not dairy. :D

chandasue

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Hmmm bummer about the 4H group. I think it may depend on the focus of the group. Not all of them have someone that does goats, they are popular around here. There's also about 20 different 4H groups in a 20 mile radius so maybe just try to find another group? You could try contacting breeders and just asking them. The might do it themselves or know other breeders that have leases.

Dani-1995

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Did you call the county 4-H agent? If so try calling your county livestock agent. He/she is the one who would know if anyone wanted to do that. They might even call around for you.

The shows can be a very place, but you never know, someone might stop and talk to you. I think the best thing you can do is find someone who knows folks in livestock and talk to them (Like the county agent). I know our 4-H is always willing to help kids with stuff like that (Especially goats :)).