day old bottle baby now 7 mons old - PICS FOR RTG!!

Katy

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
dwbonfire said:
hi katy, thanks for the reply.

i had read online a few different sites saying if they have not had any maternal colostrum that they should be bottle or tube fed 8 qts in the first 24 hours. i thought i hadnt gotten enough into her.
when i make the mix it ends up just shy of 1 qt. she has had two feedings of that today, and i thought i would give her one more tonight? i feel like that was not even enough because i am reading that they should be eating 2 qts twice a day, and sometimes 3 times a day. im totally confused as to how much and how often.

my plan was to give her the mixture of colostrum tonight, not quite a qt. and then tomorrow morning her last feeding of colostrum and then start her on the milk replacer tomorrow night. i read on the bag she can have it up to 4 days old, but i was just going to finish what i have left and tomorrow she will be at 3 days anyway.

im so affraid of over or under feeding her, i really dont know how much :/
2 quarts 2 times per day is fine for a normal size calf, but you said she was small so she will require less. Underfeeding by a bit is much better than over feeding her.

currycomb

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
we had a rejected calf too. she got one or two feedings from her mom, then on to the powered replacer. i fed cautiously at first, then upped her milk as she grew. hubby knew i was going to scour her, but never did. just up her gradually. our dog was the calf's buddy.

she-earl

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Sorry, I just saw your post requesting a pic of splints. I will be doing some running today but may try and get a pic at some point. I should have mentioned that between the splint and her leg, you should put some type of padding - ex. piece of foam, cotton that is in a roll you can use to line, etc. You should make sure that some goes out over the top to protect the edge from her leg. I just took the splints of the bull calf or I could have gotten a pic of them on.
We feed our 100lb holstein calves two quarts twice a day. If I have a smaller calf (75-85 lbs.) I would feed them one and a half pints twice a day. I agree that it is better to "under feed" milk replacer or milk than to over feed. If she has calf starter feed and water in available, she will be able to nibble around at that if she needs something else. It is easier to work with a healthy calf that to fight scours.

Royd Wood

Reaction score
Hi DW
Good luck with your calf and keep us posted

Someone please - Whats post 2 all about BUMP ???????????? seen it a few times ??????? on other threads - Am I missing out on somthing :/

she-earl

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Splint pics are on Backyard Chickens site.

WildRoseBeef

Range nerd & bovine enthusiast
Reaction score
Royd Wood said:
Someone please - Whats post 2 all about BUMP ???????????? seen it a few times ??????? on other threads - Am I missing out on somthing :/
It's just a way to move the post up to the top of the thread where it is more noticeable to other users on the site visiting the forum. Usually it's great if you are looking at the recent post updates at the very bottom on this message board.

dwbonfire

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
3804_dsc02541.jpg

(thats a shaving on her head, not a white spot lol)
finally got a pic on here, sorry for the delay! shes doing good so far, she is a spunky little thing!! shes in a 10x10 stall right now, i have a fenced in yard one part is with 4 strand barbed wire, the rest with the 2x4 welded wire and electric tape. do you all think its ok to take her outside for a little bit to stretch and have a change of scenery? i dont think she would bother to go thru the barbed wire, theres nothing over there to entice her. let me know your thoughts!
right now shes eating 1.5 quarts twice a day, and i have offered hay to her which she has maybe eaten a blade of it lol. i am going to get some calf starter and offer that tomorrow (she will be a week old) i saw it in a pellet fom, i thought it was a sweet feed?
also i did want to ask how soon i should put a halter on her and start teaching her to lead around? my plan is to keep her and breed her in the future, so im trying to think of things i need to do with her now while shes little to make sure shes safe and mannerly to handle once shes full grown. i have horses so i have knowledge with raising foals and the behavioral part of it all, but this is the first cow so if anyone has any tips on things to work on now that would be great!
ill be posting pics at some point today of her front legs, i have a few questions about those too.
thanks to everyone for all your help :)

Ms. Research

Herd Nerd On A Mission
Reaction score
dwbonfire said:
http://www.backyardherds.com/forum/uploads/3804_dsc02541.jpg
(thats a shaving on her head, not a white spot lol)
finally got a pic on here, sorry for the delay! shes doing good so far, she is a spunky little thing!! shes in a 10x10 stall right now, i have a fenced in yard one part is with 4 strand barbed wire, the rest with the 2x4 welded wire and electric tape. do you all think its ok to take her outside for a little bit to stretch and have a change of scenery? i dont think she would bother to go thru the barbed wire, theres nothing over there to entice her. let me know your thoughts!
right now shes eating 1.5 quarts twice a day, and i have offered hay to her which she has maybe eaten a blade of it lol. i am going to get some calf starter and offer that tomorrow (she will be a week old) i saw it in a pellet fom, i thought it was a sweet feed?
also i did want to ask how soon i should put a halter on her and start teaching her to lead around? my plan is to keep her and breed her in the future, so im trying to think of things i need to do with her now while shes little to make sure shes safe and mannerly to handle once shes full grown. i have horses so i have knowledge with raising foals and the behavioral part of it all, but this is the first cow so if anyone has any tips on things to work on now that would be great!
ill be posting pics at some point today of her front legs, i have a few questions about those too.
thanks to everyone for all your help :)
:love

So glad to hear she's doing well. Hope you get the A-OK to give her a change of scenery. If she is spunky as you say, she would love it. Keep us posted on your first adventure in Cows! :)

Stubbornhillfarm

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
She is absolutely adorable! Keep up the good work. I'd say if she is spunky then she is feeling good. If it is warm out where you are, she would probably enjoy a trip outside! Take care.