day old bottle baby now 7 mons old - PICS FOR RTG!!

dwbonfire

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
She is absolutely adorable! Keep up the good work. I'd say if she is spunky then she is feeling good. If it is warm out where you are, she would probably enjoy a trip outside! Take care.
thanks! :) i took her outside for a little while yesterday, she loved it. she was running and bucking and was real curious of the cats. too cute!!

Royd Wood said:
Hey nice looking calf - couldnt you find a bigger ear tag :lol:
i know huh! geesh, i was wondering if i could take that out somehow? i dont need it on her :hu

dwbonfire

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
i noticed yesterday that she was straining to poop, and her poop was not like a cow pie but real firm. today was the same. is there anything i can give her to help loosen it up so she has an easier time going? or whats causing her to be constipate-like?

dwbonfire

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
SO the little gal is 7 weeks old now, and doing well :) shes getting big and strong, and quite the personality, which I know RTG knows alllll about that :gig Im sure some of you read the thread that RTG made while she was babysitting her (a huge THANKS again)

I finally decided on her name, Autumn. (though I probably should name her Sassy or something to fit her better lol)

RTG was nice enough to teach Autumn to drink from a bucket, and also to walk with the halter and lead. Shes doing well with that although sometimes she just cant be bothered, but I make her obey and shes pretty happy to most times. She really is a sweety. I do have a few questions at this point in time:

Shes been eating her grain up real fast lately, but I stretch it out over the whole day, giving her a couple handfuls at a time. I'd estimate shes eating 1/2 - 3/4 of a quart. She goes out for about 4 hours a day now and grazes, though shes not probably consuming a whole lot. Shes not overly interested in her hay, but I do notice her picking at it at night when shes locked up in her stall. My question is, how much grain should/can she be eating at this time? I will work her up slowly but Im just wondering what the amount a calf this age usually eats? Is it safe to feed just one or two bigger feedings a day rather than stretching it out so much?
How old will she be when shes getting her full ration of grain- and how much will that end up being? Pasture is pathetic here, so our animals really rely on hay and grain.

How old should I start weaning her from the milk? And is the 2 quarts AM/PM still all she needs right now, or should she be getting a third feeding now that shes older? I know this comes down to personal preference mostly, but just wondering what most of you do. I also read some people give them whole milk, does that mean whole milk like the store bought stuff?! (sorry if I sound dumb :hide )

This is a question for down the road, but at what age can she be bred? I've got plenty of homework to do before this takes place.

I know I had more questions but now of course I cant think of them! Also I was going to post new pics but I have to charge my camera tonight so I will post them tomorrow for sure!

redtailgal

Reaction score
Autumn is a cool name for her.

I wouldnt add a third bottle at this point, esp not with her eating that much grain.

I would divide her daily portion of grain into two feedings, one for the am and one for the pm.

How much grain she should be eating will depend alot on what you are feeding her. Check your bag for suggestions. With me, I like to see them eating about 2-3 lbs of a good calf starter before I wean them. As I wean them I add to that grain a little at a time until they are eating 5-6 pounds of grain per day. These amounts will vary.....depends on the calf, the grain, the pasture etc.

As for weaning, I'd start a little bit now, and take it slow. Cut her morning bottle in half and give her grain as a replacement. Do this for a week or so, and then cut her evening bottle in half for a week or so. Then take away the morning bottle, wait a week and take away the evening bottle. Watch for bowel upsets and weight loss, adjust accordingly.

Um, where are the pics???????

Ms. Research

Herd Nerd On A Mission
Reaction score
Love the name Autumn. Nice stable name that fits her to a T. She's changing and that's when the most color is out!

Yes, and please post pics. Would love to see how Autumn matures. :)

dwbonfire

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
i finally got my camera to cooperate and got pics on here, sorry it took so long :hide
a week ago i cut her milk in half for the mornings, and starting tonight i will cut it in half for the evenings too. i will do this for a week and follow what you suggested RTG. in the morning i give her about 2 cups of grain, and then in the afternoons she goes out for a few hours and when she comes in i give her another cup or cup and 1/2. then in the evenings after her milk i give her another cup. so total is between 4-5 cups of grain a day. she seems to be doing well with this, though she seems like she wants more. she has hay available all day and now shes finally eating it.
her stools are normal, just more smelly :sick not sure if thats because shes eating more grain now?

she decided my tomato plants were interesting and kept eating them. i was nervous that she shouldnt have them so i had to dig them up and move them. lol shes so fresh. she got loose tonight and went bombing down the hill toward the pond and woods, of course i almost died thinking i wouldnt get her to come back. just had to grab her bucket and wiggle it around and she followed me back up to the barn. phew!

well here are some pics of her! and yes, she still has that ear tag :rolleyes:

3804_dsc02832.jpg

3804_dsc02711.jpg

3804_dsc02847.jpg

Royd Wood

Reaction score
Me thinks you two are going to be buddies for a long time
She looks fine with a nice shiny coat - good luck and keep us posted

WildRoseBeef

Range nerd & bovine enthusiast
Reaction score
:lol: The first pic makes her look like a dark-haired Suffolk sheep!!

She looks really good, glad to see she's coming along well for you :D

dwbonfire

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
yup she sure is my little buddy :) i feel like i have been very fortunate with her so far, Lord knows all the things that can go wrong and im very inexperienced with cows. im hoping we can keep it up! and i will continue to post pics and updates/questions as i go!