day old bottle baby now 7 mons old - PICS FOR RTG!!

DKRabbitry

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Just read "Autumn's Story" LOL
She looks fabulous! So glad you both figured things out and are doing well :bun

Ms. Research

Herd Nerd On A Mission
Reaction score
We all need a Little Buddy. She is sweet! So glad to hear she is settled in. :)

hydroswiftrob

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I am so glad that I read this. I had similar questions also, so don't feel like you were the only one.

I would like to see updated pics!

Queen Mum

N.E.R.D.
Reaction score
What a beautiful calf! She looks great. You can cut the ear tag out with a pair of nippers. Just get real close to the tag post right by the ear and snip the post. It should come right off. It will leave a hole in her ear, but that will fill in eventually. Or you can get her an ear stud - Nice big diamond. (diamonds ARE a girls' best friend you know.)

She can be haltered now or given a nice cow collar with a name tag and bell. Get the kind with a riveted on name tag though. They don't get lost. Also get a short trailer lead and start training her to follow your lead. You won't regret that later.

Start practicing with her in a head stanchion so that you can put her in later and so you can pick up her feet, mess with her udder (imaginary now, but it will pay off later. Brush her, bathe her and get intimate with her bottom and tummy. Then if you have to have the vet out to do procedures on her, you will have her well trained to stand in the stanchion for such things when she is good and big.

Also train her to lay down on command and stay down. And it will really help if you need to do a vet procedure. That is critical if she gets a twisted gut and you ever have to roll her over on her back. (It's not a natural position for a cow) but when a cow is in distress, you may need to do that in an emergency to save her life and she will trust YOU and do it for you and no one else.

My Papa could get his cows to do anything for him and that really helped when they had a prolapsed uterus or a twisted bowel. The vet REALLY appreciated his ability to get those darned cows to cooperate when they were in excruciating pain.

dwbonfire

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Well Autumn (or Cowgirl as I refer to her more often these days) is 4 months old today! Shes such a sweet thing, but a big brat when she wants to be! She likes to kick at imaginary things all the while shes eating. I feel like I should curb this behavior but I dont know how?
Shes BFF's with my jacob ewe lamb, or actually my lamb is obsessed with her and Autumn couldnt care less. They run and play together and it is an absolute riot to watch them bouncing around. We play hide and seek and she literally runs around following me and doing figure eights around the cars. (i know i shouldnt have her chasing me) She does her cute little moo with her mouth closed when I hide until she comes around to find me. lol I just love her.
Here are some updated pics that I had promised RTG like forevahh ago :rolleyes: sorry!
and yess she still has her tag! aghh

3804_dsc03171.jpg

3804_dsc03115.jpg

3804_dsc03148.jpg

3804_dsc03144.jpg

meeting the new dog:
3804_dsc03216.jpg

WildRoseBeef

Range nerd & bovine enthusiast
Reaction score
She sure is a fluffy critter! Now there would've been a good name for her: Fluffy! ;) :p

She's a right nice looking gal, I'd love to see her when she's grows into a yearling. :)

Ms. Research

Herd Nerd On A Mission
Reaction score
Wow, she's really turning into such a pretty girl. Congratulations!

Thanks so much for sharing. Glad she doing good and being a brat at the same time. lol

K

Cricket

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
What good news! She is adorable! (You seem to have a shaggy critter theme going, eh?!). My 8 month old jersey heifer had a couple floppy legs and she seems fine now.
Cricket