disbudding

dwbonfire

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
aggieterpkatie said:
You don't even have to put anything on it at all.

And I disagree with the vet about the vaccine. She will need an extra booster, but that is cheap insurance. It's safer to give her one now so she's covered. I wait until 8 weeks to vaccinate my kids and lambs, BUT their dams have all been vaccinated a month prior.
ok, i agree with you as well. was kind of second guessing waiting myself, just thought since she had the disbudding done especially that she should probably have one now. im going to get it and give it to her today, and mom too. thanks :)

ETA: is the CD/T vaccine the same stuff i would give my sheep? or are they different? just looked on TS website and saw a vial that said for goats, so not sure i can use it on my sheep? lalala :rolleyes: i hope i dont sound too dumb

daisychick

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Just looked at my bottle in the fridge and it says, CD&T vaccine for cattle, sheep and goats. :) When you go to get it just read the label and make sure it says the same as mine did. The dose is 2 cc no matter their age or weight. Also make sure you are getting the vaccine and not the anti-toxin, they look very similar. :D

marlowmanor

Reaction score
daisychick said:
Just looked at my bottle in the fridge and it says, CD&T vaccine for cattle, sheep and goats. :) When you go to get it just read the label and make sure it says the same as mine did. The dose is 2 cc no matter their age or weight. Also make sure you are getting the vaccine and not the anti-toxin, they look very similar. :D
x2 You want the toxoid, not the anti toxin.

We've actually got to do our yearly booster for our herd. We've been meaning to do it the past few weekends but not gotten to it yet. Guess we'll see if we get time to do it this weekend.

dwbonfire

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
oh im glad you specified for the toxoid not the anti toxin, i would have been in the store looking at them like :barnie
thanks!

marlowmanor

Reaction score
dwbonfire said:
oh im glad you specified for the toxoid not the anti toxin, i would have been in the store looking at them like :barnie
thanks!
I'll make it even easier for you this http://www.tractorsupply.com/goat-vac-cdt-10-dose-20-ml-durvet-vaccine-2200313 is what you should be looking for. At least this is what I have here. The people with one that covers goats, sheep and cattle may have something different. LIke this one http://www.tractorsupply.com/bar-vac-cd-t-10-dose-50-ml-boehringer-ingelheim-cattle-vaccine-2216259.

Marianne

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
While we are on the topic of disbudding and there are lots of experienced responders, my husband and I are going to take on that job in the spring. Easy to say...probably not so easy to do. What is the diameter/size of the tip that you use? I'm thinking the 1/2" would be the way to go for full-sized goats, but there is also a 3/8" available (perhaps for the mini varieties).

Pearce Pastures

Barn Babe
Reaction score
Don't get the small tip---I am KICKING myself for getting it. I have NDs and the larger size would have definitely helped us to burn more efficiently and effectively.

GLENMAR

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I found the process to be not nearly as traumatic (for me) as I thought it was going to be.

Now for a question: We did my buckling at 4 or so days old. He was born 7/18. If he were going to get scurs, would be be able to tell by now??
How big would they be? There are some rough points back there, but nothing larger then a pencil eraser.

ragdollcatlady

Herd Master
Reaction score
Don't get the small tip---I am KICKING myself for getting it. I have NDs and the larger size would have definitely helped us to burn more efficiently and effectively.
I got the small tipped one for pigmy/nigerian and had to reorder the larger one too. The smaller one really seemed like it fit well on the little ND babies but it didn't burn enough. Then when I bought my buckling, he was already getting scurs and I needed the larger one to try and correct that.

dwbonfire

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
3804_disbud.jpg

here is a pic of her a couple days after. the purple is from blu kote.. the vet told me the caps would fall off soon but they havent yet, its been 4 days. is this normal? she got good copper rings around both so as far as ive read and been told she burned them enough.

glenmar- i agree, wasnt as bad as i thought. i was a little worried how stressed she did get during the restraint because she was fighting so much her tongue got a little purple, kind of like when a child has a tantrum so hard they lose their breath!! yikes. but nothing that shook me, i will attempt it myself next year if i end up having more goat kids.

ETA: i vaccinated her and mom for CDT saturday, and will booster in 2-3 weeks.