Do Goats Bite?

warthog

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
When I first got my goats, 12 months ago (phew seems like a lifetime ago). :lol: They were quite small, one only 8 weeks, I was in their pen cuddling and getting them used to me when the 8 week old (bottle baby) tried to suckle my finger. Ah cute I thought he really thinks I'm his mum, :gig within seconds my finger was in the back of his mouth and it hurt, drew blood, not much, but if you don't get it out quick, well I wouldn't like to think too much about that.

He wasn't biting me intentionally, just doing what goats do.

I made sure it didn't happen again.

RockyToggRanch

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I have one girl who grabs hold of my sleeve any chance she gets. Still haven't figured it out. None of them have ever tried to bite me.

Henrietta23

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I got bit by one as a child. I was at the fair and a goat was nibbling on my shirt. Trying to get the shirt out of the goat's mouth it somehow pulled my finger into the back of its mouth. When it bit down it got my finger between back teeth and broke the skin. I don't remember thinking the goat had intended to bite me at the time.

Calliopia

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
As to goats biting on purpose as a method of defense or intentional annoyance. Yep, they do.

I have one very cantankerous old doe who has had a rough life and REALLY doesn't like people. However she'll adopt anything 4 legged within about a 10ft radius so she stays.

When I got her the previous owner had let her kid in the field with about 15 other does and 3 bucks and the baby was trampled. I had to milk her out a couple times before she dried up and that was an adventure. If you got with in range of her mouth it was chomping time.