Does my doe have cancer?!

twentyone

Just born
Reaction score
The other day I was cleaning out my rabbits cage, I noticed she had a very large clump of a mixture of droppings and urine stuck to her behind/genital area. While cleaning it I noticed that on either side of her vagina there is no fur and her skin is all red and there is a small yellow spot that could possibly be a sore. I'm so worried about her. She hasn't been spayed (lack of money, I have also recently emailed clinics asking their price and they have failed to email me back) and i'm afraid this could be a symptom of some type of cancer. Also, this is going to be hard to explain, on her vagina she has two slits on both sides. I have no idea if this is normal or a symptom of something or if she is in pain. I'm just so worried about my little rabbit, I don't know how i didn't notice this sooner.... Please if you can help at all, tell me anything, because i'm completely on my own.

DAVIS FARM

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
this sounds like something we old farmers call cage rot...the undersides of all caged animals must stay dry and clean of urine and stools...i raised rabbits 1000 head in a barn..so i know the importance of clean cages..i spent all day cleaning bedding, food , waste products out of cages..and this is an everyday job..all cages have to be cleaned daily also..you may have to shave the hair around her underside so you can keep a better look on it..and clorox everything on the cage..so her cage will be clean..once there are open sores in rabbits who are caged...its very hard to contain germs and get them to go away..and others may end up with it..strong winds can blow the germs around all in a rabbit area and the rabbits with open sores will all contract the germs into their sores...if the rabbit looks like its in any kind of pain..like open sores in the genital area...which is very painful when urine hits it..and you dont have the money for a vet visit...please have someone to shoot it..its better than having the rabbit laying in a caged area with a painful underside..ALSO..try rubbing her genital area with the white type of human baby rash ointment..it will help the sore stay dry of urine and will help keep it dry and will help it to heal..but keep in mind if the rabbit doesn't get better...put it down

DAVIS FARM

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
for the rabbit owner...you may have to wrap her feet ..not too tightly..but enough so she doesn't kick off the bandages..wrapping her feet will help her to dot dig into her hurting sores with her clawed feet..she is doing this, because she is in very bad pain..it sounds like her foot claws are ripping into the sides of her vagina where the urine is hitting it and is burning the sores around it..very painfull

twentyone

Just born
Reaction score
Thank you very much for your help. I've been researching and I learned that the slits are just the scent glands. I think that could be it, i'll start cleaning her cage twice a week. I've read that getting a rabbit spayed can cost anywhere between 50 dollars and 300. I have some saved up, i've contacted clinics asking their pricing to get her spayed but they haven't responded so I will keep looking. I usually take her out of her cage but I have recently rescued two kittens off the street and I don't want them to hurt her, i'm nursing them back to health and then looking for a good home for them. Shooting her is just not an option, I will do whatever it takes to heal my pet. Thank you again.

twentyone

Just born
Reaction score
also the sores on her...i'm not completely sure that they are sores. She just has red skin not on her genitals but more on her lower tummy area around it. The possible sore is a small yellow spot and it's not really near her privates. I would say it is about an inch away from her genitals at least, so I don't think its burning when she pees, which is very good.

DAVIS FARM

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
great..but do go down to your local dollar store and buy a tube of the baby rash ointment...it will hep her so much..but make sure it is the white colored baby rash ointment..and you will soon have your own vet box full of wormers and ointments...something else you need to know..rabbits are bad to get ear lice..yes...my vet told me yrs ago..just spray WD-40 ( the car / automotive stuff) into the ears when you see they are scabbing up in their ears...because even though you cant see them...they will be there..thats what scabs in the ear are from...so get a can of that too... :)

DAVIS FARM

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
lol...and dont worry about them kittens...that rabbit will get them..rabbits are feirce fighters..the kittens wont have a chance

twentyone

Just born
Reaction score
Definitely will do, and we do have some bag balm, would that help too? lol and I might just have to give it a try, it will be funny to see the kittens reaction

terri9630

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
It's not necessary to spay your rabbit and can be dangerous for her as well as expensive for you. Not many vets treat rabbits. Few know anything about them. Keep her clean. Keep her cage clean. She should heal. Is she on wire or does she have a resting board? Being on wire all the time can cause sores. Peeing on a resting board and sitting in it can be just as bad. I have a doe that has to have a board to get off the wire and one that can't have a board because she will pee on it and matt her belly fur.

Rabbits are groomers and will lick off anything you put on them.

twentyone

Just born
Reaction score
I'm just really worried if I don't get her spayed that she'll get ovarian cancer, I read that about 80% of rabbits get if they're not, is that true? And she has a board cage, with a thick layer of soft bedding.

Latest posts