Does your herd have to be all the same breed?

Mini-M Ranch

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I posted on another board (about attachment parenting. I don't know for sure why we were talking about farm animals ) that we might be getting nigis and a mini-nubian and people seemed appauled that I would try to keep the two breeds together.

I mean, I get that they will be different sizes, but as I don't plan on having any bucks...does it really matter? I'm lost.

I LOVE nigis. My DH loves Nubians. For him to agree to help me put up the goat fence, I agreed to get a Nubian.

I guess I didn't know goats practice race discrimination? :hide

ksalvagno

Alpaca Master
Reaction score
I know someone who has Nigerian Dwarfs, Nubians (both mini & regular) and LaManche. They do breed them. I don't see why you would have to have all the same type of goat whether you breed or not. The important thing is you being happy with what you have. I guess the only other thing I could think of is the dynamics of the herd and if they get along but that would really be personalities of the individual goats that you have and not necessarily breeds.

freemotion

Self Sufficient Queen
Reaction score
:lol: Actually, many animals will show color preference and stick to one color or group and pick on another color. Sheesh! :smack

But certainly not always.

username taken

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Okay, so my herd contains:

Angoras
Boer
Boer cross
Three different dairy breeds
plus two different sheep breeds

So .... no .... your herd does not have to be the same breed! lol

Roll farms

Spot Master
Reaction score
Some of our 200-250# whopper does would whip the tar out of a 75-100# doe of smaller stature, would be my only concern. Of course, I've seen 50# doelings take on 150#'ers and win so...you never know.
We have 5 different breeds but none are "minis".

haviris

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I have 11 nigis (no horns), 2 boers (both horned), 2 nubians (one horned and one not), and a LaMancha (no horns).

They all live peacefully together, w/ goats you will have to occational bully, but over all you should be fine!

Chirpy

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I have Nigis, Alpines and Nubians together and they do just fine. I think it has more to do with personalities of the individual goats also. (none of mine have horns)

nightshade

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I have nubians, a pygmy and a pygmy nigi x currently a herd of 12 in all. (with hopes of again Lamanachas in the future.) They all live together and with a mini horse that is like a big goat to them, no problems. I also have a mix horned and non horned goats. Personally I would like to see mixed herds then ones that all look the same.

Chaty

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I have nigerians, Nubiand, La Manchas and Alpines and they seem to all get along. There will be battles for Queen but other than that they should get along ok as mine butt sometimes but who gets along all the time? I love my herd of goats and its to the 40ish number and other than the bucks in a differnt pen its pretty colorful out in the pasture when they go to graze or browse. I just dont do horms...thats where you can get into trouble sometimes.