Don't tell ME that CAE is "no big deal"

Queen Mum

N.E.R.D.
Reaction score
I don't think complete "cleansing" and "culling" is the answer. It is impractical. Too many false negatives and too many false positives. AND too many questionable people who will cheat.

I watched Korea take 1 million pigs almost all of them negative for hoof and mouth and dump them in a big pit and fill it in with dirt. Those poor pigs were buried alive to cull for hoof and mouth. A bunch of people dug up the top layer and carried the pigs away to "save them". Some for meat, some for breeding some because they were sad for the pigs. Some of the pigs just dug themselves out and walked away. Did the culling work?

I think the real answer is attrition and sane culling. Along with careful testing...

Also developing animals that are resistant to the disease and finding treatment for the disease. Our resources are precious, lets protect them...

DonnaBelle

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I've been watching the TV stories regarding N.Korea.

Lets get down on our knees and thank God we were born in the USA.

They starve their people and buy bullits.

DonnaBelle

Queen Mum

N.E.R.D.
Reaction score
I was talking about South Korea when they had to deal with culling for Hoof and Mouth in Pigs! It was awful.

But North Korea is worse, far worse. I pray every day for them...

animalcrackeracres

Just born
Reaction score
So sorry for your loss DonnaBelle, but in my opinion I don't know if culling all goats with CAE is the answer. It depends on why people have goats in the first place. Pets or companions? breeders for business? It is not the goats fault they have the disease, so culling an outward perfectly healthy goat doesn't seem right. And some of them don't even really show any signs. Some people don't want them to breed, they just want them as pets, so culling every goat with CAE might stop the disease but would kill a lot of innocent goats. I have three goats, all does, one with CAE. I don't plan on breeding anyone, and the doe would have been killed if I hadn't bought her. She is a little stiff in the back legs some mornings but seems to be very happy to be alive, runs and plays around the pasture with the others and puts her head in my lap for an afternoon snooze. :)

Geez, I sound like one of those crazy PETA people who protest KFC and I promise you I am not one of those, but to me the logic is like say if we kill all humans who have AIDS there would be no more AIDS in the world correct? Killing cattle for food production is one thing but goats are closer to dogs or horses than cows. I agree there needs to be something done but not culling.

Everything;s going to die of something: I rescue ferrets part time, and the species commonly develops adrenal disease which is a type of cancer that shortens their life to four or five years. I just love them for the short time they are here and try to comfort them when their time comes. Donnabelle if you want to start a herd over over could you maybe take a chance and sell your goats as pets only and try to educate the owners on the disease? or is there a goat rescue around? even 4H clubs or projects. I know a unscrupulous breeder could press them back in service again anyway, that is always a risk. Maybe it's just me; when I was 12 I did buy a gerbil in a pet store once just to save it from being eaten by a snake :idunno

Goats are useful for more than just milk and meat, I havn't had to weed around my property in forever! Or waste money and time planting flowers that will only bloom one year and then die- the goats showed me that was foolish :)

alsea1

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Its just my opinion on the subject.
But I think it wise to try to erradicate this disease.
As goat breeders and fanciers it is our responsibility to try.
This cannot be achieved by keeping CAE positive goats at all for any reason.
Once again this is my opinion. I am not trying to dictate what others do in this situation.
Look at the mess that HYPP has become in the horse world. All because breeders couldn't resist the Impressive bloodline. Now look.

animalcrackeracres

Just born
Reaction score
this is probably going to sound really stupid but how about neutering and spaying CAE positive goats IF it is shown to only pass through breeding. Weathers make nice pets, would a spayed female (if that even has a name or can be done) be a good pet? Or even giving a female birth control so she cannot breed, like they do to control herd size with the horses on Assateague Island in maryland?
This is a pet opinion only, I am not a breeder.

I thought about having a buck but knew I could not guarantee he wouldn't figure out a way to overcome the electric fence or the pens so I decided to not risk it. If I ever wanted the CAE free ones to have a baby I would try to research to find a CAE certified free buck and pay the stud fee.

animalcrackeracres

Just born
Reaction score
And about burying the pigs alive, that is horrible. I couldn't resist looking down to the 50lbs pig sleeping at my feet and waking her up to give her some of my pretzels and remind her not all little pigs are so lucky as her, and I'm not talking about her matching PJ's:hugs