Dry Yearling Bagging Up, Solid Bag

dejavoodoo114

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
My yearling doe is bagging up. I took two photos with my phone as well as I could. Her udder is hard. My daughter says it wasn't too hard to "milk" her but it looked like watered down milk. She has been running with a buck since March, however, that buck was born Feb... He is breeding now but I doubt he would have been sucessful before (I wont be broken up if I am wrong). They are Nubians and from what I have seen and understand they don't come into heat until fall. I never felt the bags forming on the doe I have who kidded in Feb so I don't know what they are suppossed to feel like.

8402_img00375-20130925-1815.jpg

8402_img00376-20130925-1815.jpg

Animallovers1

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
If the Doe is from good milking lines sometime that happens u would go to fiasco farms website if you would like more on that

frustratedearthmother

Herd Master
Reaction score
Nubians can cycle year round, and a 3 month old buck is certainly capable of settling a doe if he can reach her! Looks to me like she's gonna be a mama. :)

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
That is a perfectly normal looking udder showing good development for a doe who is bred.
In fact, it a nice looking udder at this point. :)

If he was born in Feb, you would probably be safe to say she was bred in June.

Probably safe to move this thread from "Diseases"

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
She doesn't have mastitis. Not very likely a dry yearling would have mastitis.
She's just bred.
Don't try to "milk" her anymore.

hopsnlopsfarm

Just born
Reaction score
Start watching her- she could definitely be bred or a precocious milker if she has good milking lines. You could get a blood sample or ultrasound on her to be sure of anything.

dejavoodoo114

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I can't afford an ultrasound. It costs me $150 just to get the vet to visit this area. I will keep a close watch on her though. She IS from excellent milk lines... Wow, I am still torn about which it might be. I will keep this updated. Thanks for all your opinions!

Also, no fever. I checked that right away.

dejavoodoo114

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Well, my buck is kind of following her around, she is excreting something from her vulva area... (Can't remember the names.. lol) However, he does not try to mount her like he did the others. Would he be following her if she is bred and soon to kid?

frustratedearthmother

Herd Master
Reaction score
What does the "stuff" look like? Can you get a picture? Bucks do pay attention to does that are about to kid...they are picking up on hormones. It's best to separate them if you think she is about to kid.