Ear issues? Maybe? Update and need expert advice!

freemotion

Self Sufficient Queen
Reaction score
Very helpful. So when you say clean it twice a day, do you mean flush it with the water/peroxide mixture twice a day? Or do that once and then use a cotton swab after?

I tend to be conservative in treatments that are not urgent....so I will clean first, then move on to other treatments. Probably for mites next....I have ivomec injectible here. How would I use it...as a normal injection or as an ear flush? If as a flush, how?

Oh, wait, you said cold can cause infections...it certainly has been cold, and she is often kicked out of the stall and has to wait a minute or two before things settle down and she can go back in. We've had some nasty wind lately, too. She has learned to be quick and clever, that is for sure! So I think I will flush and see how that goes, if it yields more clues as I get covered in nasty goop.... :sick

I had been dealing with yeast infections in one of my floppy-eared dogs and he was NOT happy with treatment in the infected ear. He enjoyed getting the other ear cleaned. With Plum, she showed no discomfort when I handled her ear today. So my hopes are high. But it could be just starting.

Any more input would be appreciated.

FarmerDenise

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
My Blossom has lots of earwax. I found I have to go and clean them out with a cotton swab 2 or 3 days in a row, when I notice it. Then she is fine for a while. He lamancha ears ar more difficult to get into than Flower's, so I guess the wax is more likely to stay in there. LaMancha's are know for having problems with their ears, according to my readings.

I do not recommend using peroxide in the ear canal. We used to have a dog with ear problems and our vet told us, that the peroxide breaks down and you end up with fluid in the ear, causing more problems. I use oil or even lard to help with cleaning it out.

Emmetts Dairy

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I agree with being conservative to...I would do the same. I would start out with a good ear washing and soak so you can try to fiqure whats going on.

I would do the wash/soak twice on the first day...but you may find she will clean out that mess with one good shake. ??? And you can clean appropriatley with a swab great! Then I would just rinse for the next few days twice daily. But the soak should be done 1st to see if you can dislodge anything...

As for the ivermectin..you can give it to her subQ or if you have the paste you can apply that paste directly in the ear. Im not sure about the injectable in the ear. I would'nt cuz I dont know and never have. But the theory behind the paste is that it works on the mites well and the mites dont need the full injectable amount to be ride of them...so less drugs in the goat..helps prevent resistance issues. IMO...if I dont have to use something strong I dont. Why use a nuclear bomb when a fire cracker will do it. And the paste is fine for the skin...wont be an issue for her. And its way cheaper than the injectable.

But VetRx is mello...and cheap...and works for mites and minor irratations.

I would recomend an antibiotic to...cuz it has been extremly cold and windy and as you said..she gets pushed around..she probally dos'nt have the warmest spot in the barn...meanies!!! :somad I have a runt that they do that too...I know thats their way..but it makes me feel bad for her! :( Funny thing to..is my runt is the healthiest of them all!! Never and I mean never had an issue with her...(knock on wood)

But I would start with a wash...and move on from there...and the antibiotic to. Cuz generally things ozze when infected...and I know ear infections dont happen to often..but this weather is prime for it happening.

Keep updating..Im curious after the wash what you find. And we can move on from there...

Emmetts Dairy

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
FarmerDenise said:
My Blossom has lots of earwax. I found I have to go and clean them out with a cotton swab 2 or 3 days in a row, when I notice it. Then she is fine for a while. He lamancha ears ar more difficult to get into than Flower's, so I guess the wax is more likely to stay in there. LaMancha's are know for having problems with their ears, according to my readings.

I do not recommend using peroxide in the ear canal. We used to have a dog with ear problems and our vet told us, that the peroxide breaks down and you end up with fluid in the ear, causing more problems. I use oil or even lard to help with cleaning it out.
First I must say...dogs and goats are not the same species. And what you can do to a dog you cannot do to a goat and vice versa.

Your vet is correct about using it to clean a dogs ear on a regular basis is not ideal and would cause issues. Nor would I use it on my Goats ear on a regular basis.

But this is a goats ear we are talking about and the ear has a ozzing liquid coming from it and it needs an agressive cleaning. That why it is recomended and used in this fashion.

So on a regular basis...I agree..it is not the ear cleaner of choice for most species. But this is a differant situation.

FarmerDenise

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Emmetts Dairy said:
FarmerDenise said:

First I must say...dogs and goats are not the same species. And what you can do to a dog you cannot do to a goat and vice versa.

Your vet is correct about using it to clean a dogs ear on a regular basis is not ideal and would cause issues. Nor would I use it on my Goats ear on a regular basis.

But this is a goats ear we are talking about and the ear has a ozzing liquid coming from it and it needs an agressive cleaning. That why it is recomended and used in this fashion.

So on a regular basis...I agree..it is not the ear cleaner of choice for most species. But this is a differant situation.
Thanks for clarifying that. We had such a bad experience with a dog we inherited, that I prefer to err on the side of caution!!
I am a newby when it comes to goats, I defer to your counsil ;)

PattySh

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I've only seen one ear infection in a friend's young goat kid. She was tilting her head and not taking her bottle well so looked into the canal and saw a crusty blob. I put my finger gently into her canal to do a sniff test (thinking yeast) and the thing "blew". Nasty ooze but not alot of smell. Friend was on a budget so we cleaned the ear with Chlorhexidene and water for several days and I had Otomax on hand for my dogs and that did the trick. Her head tilt was gone within a couple of days.

edited to add, 1 part apple cider vinegar/3 parts water is good alternative to Chlorahexidine for cleaning. Cleaning alone tho won't cure an infection.

Emmetts Dairy

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
FarmerDenise said:
Thanks for clarifying that. We had such a bad experience with a dog we inherited, that I prefer to err on the side of caution!!
I am a newby when it comes to goats, I defer to your counsil ;)
No problem!! Glad to help!! :) In my expirence Ive always found goats are sensitive to alot more things than most think. I try to be as goat specific as possible. Cuz they are so beautifully unique!! :love And we love em around and healthy and happy!!!

freemotion

Self Sufficient Queen
Reaction score
Hubby gets home from work around 11 AM today, so he will help me then. I'll be sure to report here. I plan on flushing with the peroxide/water mix twice today and see what I learn from that. And I just washed my barn coat and snow pants, too..... figures! :rolleyes:

Latest posts