ELeVan ~ Honaker Farm Journal

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
I have a neighbor who has a turken rooster who is absolutely gorgeous. But for some reason this hen just did nothing for me...reminded me too much of a buzzard I think. :/

redtailgal

Reaction score
Em, if you still have the dead hen or one that is starting to act poorly, check inside her mouth for a yellow cheesy waxy substance.

I'm in a rush, but I'll tell you about it later.

redtailgal

Reaction score
I am wondering if you have some aspergillosis going thru your flock. It presents with lethargy, and poor appetite. If exerted the birds will pant for breath.

It is a fungal infection that occurs anytime of the year, but most commonly just after a wet period that was proceeded by a small dry period. (a week or so with no rain, then rain) or in an area that is normaly dry but ends up wet (leaky roof onto a dry barn floor)

On necropsy you will see a yellow (may be very bright or even very pale) waxy or cheesy "snot" possibly in the nares, but you may need to cut open and disect the throat to see it (check inside the crop too).

There is no treatment, but not all birds will die from it.

I am so sorry Em. It rough to loose them and even more so when you dont know why.

:hugs

I am glad the twins are doing good, even if I am jealous. lol

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
I wish I'd read your post before I had DH destroy the remains RTG. :/

But these birds did not pant (not at all) and in the case of the turken she ate quite well yesterday....came into the coop at her usual time, she just didn't take the roost. :/

And we've been wet since last winter...no dry spells here. Everything is wet and mucky :(

If I notice any others acting off then I'll give a look inside their throat. Actually if I get another acting sick I might take it live to the state lab and have them cull it and necropsy it right away :/

redtailgal

Reaction score
I *think* asper needs a dry spell to be a problem. Im not sure

I hope that you dont have a bird to take to the state lab to cull!

:fl

that's*satyrical

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
awww no. Hope you get this bird thing figured out soon. So sorry you are having to go through this :(