ELeVan ~ Honaker Farm Journal

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
redtailgal said:
I asked Rolls and I'd like to ask you too

Do you separate your does from the others when they kid?
I do. But my reason is mainly because I dam raise. The doe and her kids get to hang out in a "hotel" room for 2 weeks while we get prime interaction time with mama and babies. That's how I make my dam raised kids friendly.

I'd prefer not to bottle feed and don't feel it's necessary to create friendly kids. In fact I prefer not to bottle feed so much that if I had a circumstance that required it then I'd probably sell the baby right away.

redtailgal

Reaction score
How does it go when you turn them back into the herd with their babies? How do the other does handle it? What about wethers (do I need to plan to keep Socrates and Plato away from the babies?)

Sigh. I really HAVE to get this stuff worked out. I only have a year and a half before my babies are here. :rolleyes:

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
redtailgal said:
How does it go when you turn them back into the herd with their babies? How do the other does handle it? What about wethers (do I need to plan to keep Socrates and Plato away from the babies?)

Sigh. I really HAVE to get this stuff worked out. I only have a year and a half before my babies are here. :rolleyes:
They never really seem to lose their connection since they are all able to see each other and touch noses through the pen walls. In fact they sleep against the wall that connects them to each other.

There can be a little bit of an issue with "testing" the kids but mama usually puts the one doing the testing in their place and it's done once and only once.

I do suspect that I may have a problem with our wether, Rocky, this time as he is just being an overall butthead. So sometimes you do have to judge personalities. But when they have their mama to protect them it's usually good.

I think my biggest concern with this kidding may be the calf who thinks he's goat. This is his first time around babies. He stepped on one of the chickens the other day and she squawked and screamed and flapped her wings but he just stood there right on her toe and didn't move. So I'm afraid of the big lug stepping on the babies. :rolleyes:

You may have a year to figure this out but it doesn't matter...you'll get things figured out in your head and arranged in the barn and you'll change your mind and make changes when the time comes. Just the way it is...you have to experience it before you know what's gonna work for you.

redtailgal

Reaction score
With me being so worked up and excited NOW, can you imagine what it will be like once my girls are bred?

Lol, I apologize in advance. I KNOW I will be ridiculous.

OK, I gotta get off my rear and accomplish something today. I think that I will get my recipes organized, gonna go back to making a monthly meal plan.

country farm girl

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Hi, I have been reading your journal for a little bit of time and I love it !! :love I have been praying for you too !!! :fl I was woudering what do you use your goats for ?? Milk, meat or just for fun? :drool love you pics :drool

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
country farm girl said:
Hi, I have been reading your journal for a little bit of time and I love it !! :love I have been praying for you too !!! :fl I was woudering what do you use your goats for ?? Milk, meat or just for fun? :drool love you pics :drool
Thank you for reading and for the compliment :D

What do I use my goats for? All of the above. Mainly the milk and fun but occasionally meat when we want something different in the freezer.

country farm girl

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
elevan said:
country farm girl said:
Thank you for reading and for the compliment :D

What do I use my goats for? All of the above. Mainly the milk and fun but occasionally meat when we want something different in the freezer.
are they minis??

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
It's been a weird afternoon.

First I get a text from that friend that moved back to Ohio. Remember that I thought he's wanting some freelance admin stuff done? Wrong. He wants me to come back to the company as an agent...not where my love of the job was. And after the way I was burnt by the guy I worked for (who is now gone and one of the reasons that my friend left the state) I'm just not thrilled with the offer. For one it would require me to pay $145 to catch up and bring my license up to date and would have to be done by the end of this month. :/ :( I told him I wasn't interested. There is just so much to this story (surrounding ex boss) that I cannot share as it's not done with yet. DH was with the company too and this friend wanted to recruit him back too. DH is in a great job right now and is very happy, so he's not interested either. Really hate to disappoint this friend but I'm just no the same person I was early in 2010. :/

Then I went into the bathroom to wash my hands and the clock/ radio that we have in the shower came on and started blaring (super loud) tuned to some discussion on family and dreams. And it won't turn off. The buttons do nothing and the battery door is jammed....all I could do was turn the volume all the way down. It's really weird. I think that I should go visit my Grandma Emily this evening...I don't know I just feel a pull to go see her :/