ELeVan ~ Honaker Farm Journal

country farm girl

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
how much milk pur day do you get? how high are your fences for your goats? how can they get out?

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
country farm girl said:
how much milk pur day do you get? how high are your fences for your goats? how can they get out?
On the pygmies, 1-2 quarts is all that I take from each of my girls as I dam raise my kids. Daisy is capable of giving 3 quarts if I want it out of her.

My fences are 5 feet high. I only have one jumper and she's never tried going over the fences (only stall walls which are 4 feet high). The only escapes that I've had were those that found a weak spot to go under the fence. They also will try gates and can figure out latches if they're not mildly complicated...I find adding a carbinger clip works to deter this.

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
Taste of lamb #2 is a failure. I still do not like it. Lamb will get one more attempt from me and then I'm done.
DH doesn't even like the ground lamb as chili and is off to buy sandwiches :rolleyes: The boys on the other hand loved it - 2 helpings.

I would say that if we ever add sheep to our farm that we will not be consuming them.

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
Hey y'all on the Count as High as you can thread...my hay doesn't get delivered until this afternoon :p But I did make a promise and intend to keep it...but y'all make it so hard ;) :lol:

:lol:

It's snowing this morning! Yeah, for freezing weather so we can harden up this mucky mud. But boo for cold temps....brrrrrr.

Chickens are all still good.

Daisy's twins are still like little jack rabbits bouncing all over the place. Precious is trying to jump onto her mama's back, but that is not something that Daisy allows (she only lets chickens get on her back). Whenever we go into the pen with them they decide that we are human mountains :lol:

Sunny & the 5 egg layers

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
elevan said:
Hey y'all on the Count as High as you can thread...my hay doesn't get delivered until this afternoon :p But I did make a promise and intend to keep it...but y'all make it so hard ;) :lol:

:lol:
Oops. :lol:

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
Hays all put away and all the hay feeders have been filled. The barns are now filled with the sound of nom nom nom nom.

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
Who needs cats? My chickens caught a mouse a little while ago and were having a grand dinner! :sick

Speaking of cats, we had a huge male show up a little while ago :/ Didn't think anything of it until feeding time and he got nasty with our cats so DH chased him off.

DH decided that he's taking K and going shopping this evening. B isn't allowed to go right now...came home from school red and he's been lying a lot lately.

country farm girl

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
elevan said:
Taste of lamb #2 is a failure. I still do not like it. Lamb will get one more attempt from me and then I'm done.
DH doesn't even like the ground lamb as chili and is off to buy sandwiches :rolleyes: The boys on the other hand loved it - 2 helpings.

I would say that if we ever add sheep to our farm that we will not be consuming them.
what kind of lamb did you buy? I ask becuoes you need to try australia grass fed lamb usa lamb is grain fed!!

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
country farm girl said:
elevan said:

what kind of lamb did you buy? I ask becuoes you need to try australia grass fed lamb usa lamb is grain fed!!
I'm in the US.

Attempt #1 was leg of lamb - didn't like it.

Attempt #2 was ground lamb made into chili - didn't like it.

Latest posts