ELeVan ~ Honaker Farm Journal

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
I hate to shoot them all but those crows / ravens are gonna have to go completely.

I'm also gonna "paint" Frieda's pouf with blu-kote to get rid of the white and see if that helps the poor girl.

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
Finally found my hen that was missing last night. Not pretty. Not much left...just a skeleton really. By the scattered feathers I could identify it as a Sicilian Buttercup.

That stupid Morgan mare busted down the gate to the goat general population area of the barn. :somad Then tried to kick me when I reached for her halter to get her out of there. I despise that horse. :rant

I'm not real happy with the way this afternoon is going.

jodief100

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
:hugs Sorry about all your hens. I wish I knew what to do but predators are tough once they find out how it get them.

redtailgal

Reaction score
Sounds like that horse could use a little "special attention". Am getting ready to leave and work on a few horses that need the same. One of which is a biter. :/

Any idea what got your hen?

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
I'm guessing it's probably a coon that has gotten the 2 that went to predators. I'm gonna set a trap along the back fence line tonight after I put everyone in.

The horse needs a new home...wish I could send her to one.

77Herford

The Farm Zookeeper
Reaction score
It would be a shame if that Morgan just happened to get out into the wilderness. You could go trail riding and whoops. ;)

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
77Herford said:
It would be a shame if that Morgan just happened to get out into the wilderness. You could go trail riding and whoops. ;)
Trail riding? Guess you didn't read on here that she's over 20 years old and never been broke to ride...she broke a few professional trainers though. Even fractured my hip.

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
I decided to herd the chickens toward the coop tonight so that I'd have daylight to help me if I needed to look for any stragglers. All the chickens are accounted for this evening. I dewormed the chickens tonight while I was in the coop. I set a live trap along the back fence line. :fl Hope to catch something.

I was going to play with the goat twins but they were sound asleep so I left them be.

Not much for dinner tonight as I'm still having pain from last night's dinner. Doesn't make sense though because all I had was a salad with chicken rolled into a flour tortilla. That shouldn't have caused me any trouble as it was pretty bland :/ Looks like I'm gonna have to go on the toast diet again for a while :(

B is still exhibiting bad behavior in school. The other day he lost his coat and went to lost and found...his wasn't there so he just took someone else's. I asked him where it came from and he lied to me and said that Mamaw bought it. Of course I asked my mom and found out his lie. I made him take it back the next day. He still hasn't brought home his coat, so he's wearing a coat that is almost too small for him. And he's still having issues in the classroom. Yesterday he didn't have his "color" calendar and said his teacher was going to give him a new one because his old one was ripped. So I asked what color he was for the day. He told me "Green". So I asked if I called his teacher what would she tell me and he changed his answer to "Red". I just don't know what to do with him anymore.

K came home "Yellow" today...after being green for months. I know - I know everyone messes up sometimes. Note from the teacher says that he has been having trouble focusing lately and hasn't been paying attention. But when he took another kid's glue stick today and purposely broke it then he had to pull the yellow card.

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
Crows came back a little while ago and were on the ground showing an interest in one of my barnevelder hens when I glanced out the window. Ran for my gun and headed to the door. Another quick glance through the window as I passed and they were in a tree. By the time I got to the door (very short time) they started to fly away. Dang! Missed my opportunity by a hair. The worst thing about crows is their intelligence. They work in teams and one is always a look out watching for me...when he spots me and calls they all take off. Grrr!