ELeVan ~ Honaker Farm Journal

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
Dreaming Of Goats said:
I'm sorry!

How much are you feeder the horse? Maybe she just needs a bit more hay for the winter, or maybe she's bored.
We just had our winter hay delivered yesterday and I filled all the feeders. Plus there is still grass growing in the field. Even in the height of the grass season she folds over the fence. Grass is always better on the other side :rolleyes: She's perfectly healthy, lots of condition. She's just the bane of my existence. If she were mine she'd have been sold or given away a long time ago. She's a purebred Morgan. Her grandsire was a Grand Champion at the time she was born (don't ask me his name - I don't know it because I never cared to remember it).

Bored...when she's not being destructive she spends the day herding our mini / shetland cross around.

I really don't like that horse.

Dreaming Of Goats

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
elevan said:
Dreaming Of Goats said:
I'm sorry!

How much are you feeder the horse? Maybe she just needs a bit more hay for the winter, or maybe she's bored.
We just had our winter hay delivered yesterday and I filled all the feeders. Plus there is still grass growing in the field. Even in the height of the grass season she folds over the fence. Grass is always better on the other side :rolleyes: She's perfectly healthy, lots of condition. She's just the bane of my existence. If she were mine she'd have been sold or given away a long time ago. She's a purebred Morgan. Her grandsire was a Grand Champion at the time she was born (don't ask me his name - I don't know it because I never cared to remember it).

Bored...when she's not being destructive she spends the day herding our mini / shetland cross around.

I really don't like that horse.
Haha. She just sounds like a PITA horse haha!!!

But if you had to choose, would you rather have the mini/shetland or her? :lol:

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
Dreaming Of Goats said:
Haha. She just sounds like a PITA horse haha!!!

But if you had to choose, would you rather have the mini/shetland or her? :lol:
Well the mini/ shetland breaks fence posts and stall walls and gates by rubbing his rump on them. I don't like him either. But if I had to chose only one then I'd chose the mini/shetland because he's smaller and overall does more easily repaired damage.

I hate to sound like I don't like horses because I do. I like to ride them. I like to pet them. But I do not like to take care of them or have them in my fields.

ThreeBoysChicks

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Electric fence. I have electric around the top of our dry lot, where the horses live through the winter. Mine are full and healthy, but they always want more and always whats on the other side of the fence, so I have one strand of electric all the way around, no more bending of the fence.

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
ThreeBoysChicks said:
Electric fence. I have electric around the top of our dry lot, where the horses live through the winter. Mine are full and healthy, but they always want more and always whats on the other side of the fence, so I have one strand of electric all the way around, no more bending of the fence.
Yeah Ed, we're probably gonna have to go that route. She's never been as bad as she has been here recently.

I only need to run it on 3 sides of the fence line because the other sides have 6-8 foot high fences. Can you run electric fencing if it doesn't make a full circle? I've never used electric fencing so sorry if that's a silly question. :/

Roll farms

Spot Master
Reaction score
When we had horses at my FIL's, we had to put hot wire around the top for the same reason, otherwise they leaned over and bent the fence / posts. Nevermind that they had plenty of grass on their own side.

DH - my fencing expert - says as long as it's grounded, you don't have to make a circle.

(Ours only has 3 sides 'hot' so I knew it could be done...just didn't know how - I got married so I'd never need to know certain things - car repair and running hot wire are two of those things...:p)

At the end of ours, he says he wound it around the last insulator and then twisted the wire back around itself. I hope that makes sense...

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
Makes sense. Thanks for the info Roll.

I married a city boy, so while I love him to pieces he's kind of clueless on farm stuff. But he does know cars ;)

redtailgal

Reaction score
Roll farms said:
When we had horses at my FIL's, we had to put hot wire around the top for the same reason, otherwise they leaned over and bent the fence / posts. Nevermind that they had plenty of grass on their own side.

DH - my fencing expert - says as long as it's grounded, you don't have to make a circle.

(Ours only has 3 sides 'hot' so I knew it could be done...just didn't know how - I got married so I'd never need to know certain things - car repair and running hot wire are two of those things...:p)

lol, I hear you on this. After 18 years of marriage, hubby still doesnt know that I can run a chainsaw.

:lol: :lol:

You'd better not tell, either!!!!

autumnprairie

Owned by the Rotten Heifers
Reaction score
redtailgal said:
Roll farms said:

lol, I hear you on this. After 18 years of marriage, hubby still doesnt know that I can run a chainsaw.

:lol: :lol:

You'd better not tell, either!!!!
:gig