ELeVan ~ Honaker Farm Journal

daisychick

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Looks ducky to me. Maybe your East Indie girl is just starting her second laying cycle and it is darker than last years eggs???

My Marans chickens do that to me, they lay super dark almost blackish eggs and then by time Spring comes their eggs are almost light brown so I can never tell which ones are laying because of their ever changing egg colors. :/

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
The HUGE thing that is throwing me here is that just last week I got a duck egg out of the barn that was brown with darker brown and green flecks. But I was just reminded that we've had some visiting mallards over the last few weeks...I suppose the female could have laid that one and this black one could be the East India girl? :/

daisychick

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
The best test would be to cook it and taste it. I can tell a duck egg from chicken eggs by tasting it. I know mallards lay a lightish brown egg or greenish eggs, but nothing that dark.....so I say make yourself an egg for lunch and tell us your results.....LOL!!!

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
crazyland said:
You could have hatched it to see what comes out?
Well that would be the ultimate answer wouldn't it? But I don't own an incubator...I've used broody hens (and none are right now).

Sunny & the 5 egg layers

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
You could make a homemade incubator? Or you can sit on it? :lol:
Anyway, I think it is an emu egg! :hide Kind of small though.

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
I did see a thread on a bra incubator on BYC... :hide

:lol:

Yeah, I've got a miniature emu running around the farm :D It is about the color of an emu egg.

Sunny & the 5 egg layers

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
elevan said:
I did see a thread on a bra incubator on BYC... :hide

:lol:

Yeah, I've got a miniature emu running around the farm :D It is about the color of an emu egg.
:lol: I saw that thread too. What is this world coming to?! :hide

Latest posts