ELeVan ~ Honaker Farm Journal

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
I think that I've just gone insane! Nobody believes me that there is absolutely no way at all under any stretch of the imagination that it can be a duck egg. If there were no ducks in the coop and they had no access to the coop in fact were locked out of said coop they cannot lay an egg in said coop.

My coops are built to be the chicken Fort Knox...nothing in there but what I allow once I close it up...and there were NO ducks in there.

:barnie

DKRabbitry

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Maybe the weather has your ducks screwed up and they think it is October. Everyone knows halloween is in Oct, so they dressed as a chicken and was indeed in the coop, you just didn't know because it looked like a chicken.

SmallFarmGirl

Smiley Crazy
Reaction score
DKRabbitry said:
Maybe the weather has your ducks screwed up and they think it is October. Everyone knows halloween is in Oct, so they dressed as a chicken and was indeed in the coop, you just didn't know because it looked like a chicken.
EXACTLY! Ducks love halloween! I wonder if the chickens are in on this????? Or maybe that invisible emu????

:lol:

:cool:

DKRabbitry

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Seriously though... this would drive me bonkers. I can not think of any of those birds (other than the ducks) that would lay that egg unless maybe one of your barnyard mixes took olive egging to the extreme. I know you said there were NONE in the coop, but really just maybe there was one you overlooked? Can you pen anyone seperate? Like set up a little area and put a few birds in there at a time untill you can narrow down which is laying it?

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
The nest boxes only have a thin layer of shavings in them...so no way to hide an egg in them.

The waxy part is really bugging me...cause chicken eggs aren't waxy - duck eggs are. But the dang ducks weren't in the coop and an egg was laid in there.

DH put the ducks in the coop tonight...so if there's another egg I'm back at square one.

I know...I could pen the ducks inside the coop at night instead of letting them have free range of it. That would tell me positively if I can eliminate the ducks from the equation or not. I'll do that tomorrow night.

Sunny & the 5 egg layers

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
elevan said:
Sunny & the 5 egg layers said:
:lol: I am telling you Em! It has to be an emu!
Man, Sunny, I'm beginning to wonder :lol:
:gig As soon as you locate that emu we will be all set!

In all seriousness:
I am sorry to hear about your egg issue. I really hope you get it solved. Have you posted your egg picture/problem on BYC yet? If not you really should because this has really got my interest. And you should incubate it too. You said you don't have an incubator, maybe make a homemade one? Or mail it to me! :lol: Yeah that should go over well with the family. "What you incubating in there?" .... "Ah well. Possible an emu, maybe a duck... chicken" :lol:

Take Care Now. :)

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
Yeah, it's posted on BYC. Nobody is budging...they all say duck and that I must be crazy :rolleyes: :lol:

I could always stick it in my shirt (that Bra incubator detailed on BYC) and hope that I don't hatch a reptile :p

77Herford

The Farm Zookeeper
Reaction score
It does look alot like a Small Emu egg. I had to search all over but thats about the only option I could find. I couldn't even find a rare condition that makes Chickens lay off colored eggs. I doubt you have one getting in some how. I would ask your local college poultry expert.