ELeVan ~ Honaker Farm Journal

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
Rain again :tongue

Boys soccer game was cancelled. :( They'll be able to make it up with a rain date but still they were bummed.

77Herford

The Farm Zookeeper
Reaction score
elevan said:
Sunny & the 5 egg layers said:
How's the cow doing?
Getting big and ornery :)

He thinks he's a goat :rolleyes:

He's to become steak, so I'm trying not to get attached...hence the now lack of conversation on him. Shouldn't be too hard to not get attached now that he's starting to become a PITA. Although if you need to do any work around the barn or field, he's right there fascinated by your tools...which is cute until he butts you in the rear and you nearly land in a pile of poo.
:gig:yuckyuck

redtailgal

Reaction score
OUr last bottle steer was like that, only he thought he was a dog. See, I'm lazy and left it to my mastiff to "bathe" him. When he was brand-new little, he would lay down and Bella would run over and sit on him, then give him a thorough bath, while Vixen, the daschund, washed his face. He didnt know if his momma was a human or a dog, and never figured out if he was a 6 pound daschund or a 156 pound mastiff. He was a huge Holstein who I called "Beauford", who ended up weighing 1000 lbs at a year old.

He was a total nerd. I was the only one who could lead him anywhere, anyone else tried to lead him and at the first sign of pressure on the lead........he would "die". Just fall over and lay there. But I could lead him by his ear, even at a year old when he weighed 1000lbs. The rest of the family would call "Beauuuuforrrrddddd".....and he would ignore them. BUt I could holler "wheres my cheeseburger?" and he would RUN to me. He was a pest, I couldnt do ANYTHING in the barn or pasture without his "help", and when I got him to stop "helping", he would stand and suck on my shirt-tail or lick my face like a dog. Cattle have very rough tongues.

I once accidently hit him in the nose with a hammer because he was "helping" and stuck his nose in the way. He had to suck my shirt for a long time after that. Do you know how much shirt will go into a 1000lb animals mouth? and the slobber........ugh. But then he would give me cow kisses and I would tell him what a good lil cheeseburger he was, only then would the world start to spin again.

He got out once while I was at the grocery store. I got home to find that FIL had been trying to catch him for over an hour. Beauford ran over to my car and greeted me, so I led him back to the barn by his ear. FIL was furious.:lol:

He really was a good lil cheeseburger.

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
Cow tongues are rough...yep. DH has a spot on his face that the hair will not grow back, where T-Bone licked him. I told him I was gonna slather his face in cherry jam and send him out to see T...that way he'd never shave again. He's still thinking about it :lol:

For some reason T's breath always smells like olives...must be something in the field he's eating (the goats don't smell that way) ...I like to say that he's marinating himself from the inside out for me. Mmmmmm....olive flank steak :drool

Sunny & the 5 egg layers

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
redtailgal said:
OUr last bottle steer was like that, only he thought he was a dog. See, I'm lazy and left it to my mastiff to "bathe" him. When he was brand-new little, he would lay down and Bella would run over and sit on him, then give him a thorough bath, while Vixen, the daschund, washed his face. He didnt know if his momma was a human or a dog, and never figured out if he was a 6 pound daschund or a 156 pound mastiff. He was a huge Holstein who I called "Beauford", who ended up weighing 1000 lbs at a year old.

He was a total nerd. I was the only one who could lead him anywhere, anyone else tried to lead him and at the first sign of pressure on the lead........he would "die". Just fall over and lay there. But I could lead him by his ear, even at a year old when he weighed 1000lbs. The rest of the family would call "Beauuuuforrrrddddd".....and he would ignore them. BUt I could holler "wheres my cheeseburger?" and he would RUN to me. He was a pest, I couldnt do ANYTHING in the barn or pasture without his "help", and when I got him to stop "helping", he would stand and suck on my shirt-tail or lick my face like a dog. Cattle have very rough tongues.

I once accidently hit him in the nose with a hammer because he was "helping" and stuck his nose in the way. He had to suck my shirt for a long time after that. Do you know how much shirt will go into a 1000lb animals mouth? and the slobber........ugh. But then he would give me cow kisses and I would tell him what a good lil cheeseburger he was, only then would the world start to spin again.

He got out once while I was at the grocery store. I got home to find that FIL had been trying to catch him for over an hour. Beauford ran over to my car and greeted me, so I led him back to the barn by his ear. FIL was furious.:lol:

He really was a good lil cheeseburger.
Aww! :love Thats funny! I love his nickname by the way! "My little Cheese Burger" :gig :lol:

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
I brought Skeeter outside for about 20 minutes this morning. She was a very happy girl to be able to eat some grass and weeds and attempt a dust bath :D
She let me know that it was time to go back inside the coop to her crate and rest though. I'm so pleased with her progress. The thigh of her injured leg is exceptionally warm though...anyone know if I should be worried about that?

redtailgal

Reaction score
See if you can part the feathers enough to see the skin color in the warm area. Also, how does the foot feel on that leg?

If the skin is redder than normal (compare it to the other leg) or is the foot is overly warm or cold (compare to the other foot), then yes I would worry, and possibly start her on some antibiotics.

If everything checks out, I wouldnt worry, I would just keep close eye on it.

Keep making sure that she gets to move around several times a day, without letting her tired herself out. Gentle massage woundnt hurt.

I would expect, though, that the area is warm either because she was laying on it or perhaps it is healing well and is taking in some extra bloodflow.

that's*satyrical

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
You need to youtube the veggie tales cheeseburger song. It will pop into your head whenever you think of your lil cheeseburger. It's reallyyyy funny.... lol

Latest posts