ELeVan ~ Honaker Farm Journal

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
Here we are mourning another loss :(

Elsie was the sweetest goat that I have ever met and we absolutely adored her. She will be missed greatly.

:hit :hit :hit :hit

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
Here's hoping that we can start over tomorrow on a good note (it's my birthday tomorrow and Thanksgiving next week).

It's been a pot hole type of a week. First the quail trio being killed, then I went with my mom to the doctor and found out she has to have surgery the week after Thanksgiving, then stopped to visit my grandma to find out that one of my cousins did something really really really really stupid and is in big trouble and grandma is very upset about it, then finding Elsie dead last night. :(

Woke up today not even wanting to get out of bed. But had to get the boys off to school and the critters out into the field. And it was only 20*! Brrrrr!!!! I want toe socks in my stocking! Still haven't warmed up and I've got on 2 shirts and 2 pairs of socks with a blanket on right now.

Lilly and Snickers have settled in quite nicely together. Lilly isn't really happy to be away from Maggie but Maggie was only upset for about half a day over it. Maggie will go into her own breeding pen soon.

I'm down 3 does from when I started my current breeding program...1 killed by a dog last summer, 1 killed by a ram to the side last winter and now Elsie to who knows what. Think PINK from these breeding that I'm doing this winter people, I gotta replace does. Unless, I can find some breeding age does that I really like I won't be replacing the lost does from outside the herd. Not that I want anything to happen to any of my goats but why is it always the does?

We decided to start cooping the ducks after our quail loss. Let me tell you that it's "fun" trying to catch 3 ducks who are used to flying to the pond at dark and put them into the coop. They get along great with the chickens and guineas but they're half wild...still we don't want anything to happen to them. Finding your birds mutilated isn't something that anyone wants to see.

I'm trying to get into the mood to make some jewelry. I make necklaces and bracelets for gifts...never sold any but I've had people try to buy them off of my neck :lol: There's a handful of people that I want to make a necklace for as a Christmas gift.

DH wanted some buckeye truffles the other day...yeah, peanut butter...I'm allergic remember. :/ So I donned a respirator and some rubber gloves and make his stupid truffles. I'm sure that I looked very fashionable in the kitchen :rolleyes:

Hmmm...watching the local news right now and they just announced that 2 people in Ohio have been murdered after responding to a Craig's List ad. They are speculating that we may have another CL Killer on our hands (previous one was on the East coast and used the personal ads). This suspect is apparently using Help Wanted Ads on CL. So if you're job hunting use caution. Heck use caution when answering any ad for anything. I never allow unknown people to come to my house and I only go to an unknown person's house with at least 2 other people with me. Better safe than sorry, right.

I'm rambling...sorry :/

marlowmanor

Reaction score
I understand your caution with CL. I meet people with things when I sell on CL. Always with DH too.

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
marlowmanor said:
I understand your caution with CL. I meet people with things when I sell on CL. Always with DH too.
The ads were for farm jobs. Suspect is in jail but it sounds like they killed at least 3 people :(

So, I'll say it again - use extreme caution when responding to ads.

Sunny & the 5 egg layers

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I am very sorry to hear about your poor goat Elsie. :hugs

That is ashame about that Craigslist Killer killing 3 people. I have no idea what is wrong with some people these days. :( Good thing that he/she is in jail where they should be.

77Herford

The Farm Zookeeper
Reaction score
I don't do business on CL. When people come to my place for business I got the dogs, who will follow me around.

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
Speedy tried to give me a heart attack! I just came back in from locking the chickens in and checking on everyone. Speedy wasn't in the buck barn. So I went looking for him and found him laying against the outside wall awake but groggy. So I pulled him to his feet and checked him over. Fine. So I ushered him into the barn and immediately found out why he'd rather sleep outside. Apparently Speedy fell from the top when I took Snickers out and Ranger is now using Speedy :rolleyes: I guess they'll all be happy when they get rearranged for winter housing / breeding.

At least everyone was all right. And the ducks even came running up from the pond to go into the coop - on their own. Thank you Quack Pack! Whew.

Set the live trap again. This time I baited with a can of cat food and pushed the trap into an old feed sack (suggestion of someone on BYC). I guess the worst that happens is that I catch one of my cats :/