ELeVan ~ Honaker Farm Journal

jodief100

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I am so sorry to hear about your quail. Racoons are a PAIN!

Can't wait to see the cute little baby goats!

daisychick

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Poor little quail :( I sure hope you catch the culprit. When I had quail they would never sleep on their wood platform either. :/ I did give them a pretty big wooden box filled with shavings, it was supposed to be a place to lay eggs, they never laid eggs in it but sometimes they would sleep in it.

Stacykins

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
elevan said:
A minor tragedy struck our small farm last night. We check on our quail trio every afternoon. DH wondered why they were so quiet this morning and when he got to their cage he found out why. All 3 lay dead on the cage floor missing their legs and beaks! :hit

The cage had not been breeched and it is 1/2" hardware cloth all around. Only guess is a coon was able to get a finger or 2 in and pull through their legs as they often slept on the cage floor even though they had a platform to sleep on. What a horrible death!

We're very upset as these were our breeders :(

DH buried 2 of them and the third we kept to use as bait for a trap. We hope to catch the culprit tonight.

On a better note we were able to get the first goat breeding pen set up and Snickers and Lilly are there now. Timing on this was perfect as she started showing signs of heat this morning and had been teasing Snickers at the fence.
Could mice or rats could have done it? Any gap that their heads fit in, the rest of them can follow. Sorry for your loss, hopefully you can eliminate the predator, but that doesn't fill the void left by their deaths.

redtailgal

Reaction score
YUK!

What a way to start the day.

Hope you get the lil booger that killed them!

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
Thanks folks.

We had our guinea dinner tonight. For those who haven't tasted guinea, I would describe the flavor as a strong chicken (in a good way). Texture is chewier than chicken (not rubbery, again this is in a good way). Skin needs to be super crisp though. Dark meat is very dark and much stronger than chicken. White meat is very good though there isn't much of it.

Here it is.

Whole roasted:
c5c25e0b.jpg

With sauce and accompaniments:
481113af.jpg

B LOVED this. According to him it is the best thing I've ever made. :D

Sunny & the 5 egg layers

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
:hugs I am very sorry to hear about your poor quail!

:drool That dinner looks so good! You are making me hungry! It must feel good to think that your dinner was homegrown! :thumbsup