Family farming (venting)

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
DH also chewed her out for being rude to me, now she is very nice to me.
:thumbsup nip-nip.

Everyone knows us and most everyone likes us in the community here.
The day that you reach the "everyone likes us" point is the day you know you're doing something wrong. When you choose something to stand for---STAND!!!

AClark

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I definitely don't have the "in law" issues, since ours raised us the same way out in the country with critters, I can, however, sympathize. I had a neighbor who homeschooled her 4 kids and her in-laws caused her so many problems she ended up caving and sending them to public school. They went as far as to call CPS on her about the educational standards. She eventually ended up getting a restraining order against them since they harassed them so much. I just can't imagine how someones own parents can make their adult children so miserable, when they see their grandchildren healthy and happy.
I guess what I would do is basically ignore the especially hateful in-law. Let her jabber on and roll right off your back, or gently change the subject to something you can agree on. Some people are just obnoxious and they wouldn't be happy if they were hung with a new rope.

Jenjen12

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Okay here's my venting for the day. My family (and most of my in laws) do not at all approve of the way my husband and I are raising our daughter. Apparently digging up worms and feeding them to the chickens, learning how to milk a goat, raising and processing your own food, homeschooling, baking homemade bread... Is all a hassle and bad for her. Ha! Anyone else have this issue?

Just want to hear from other farming parents out there who love this as much as I do!

Poka_Doodle

Herd Master
Reaction score
I'm just going to say in response to your first post that those are city folks. I totally know what your talking about and hear similar things, people don't understand that country folks in the heart or actual ones prefer to stock freezer much more then those in the city.

Jenjen12

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I was raised, until age 12, on a farm. I had 43 acres of playground. I swam in a creek, caught lightning bugs in jars and climbed trees. Was a great childhood..... Got dirty, got clean, got dirty again! Raising your child as you describe is wonderful! She wont be Afraid of things "icky". Shell have an appreciation for the work involved in animal/crop care.. She is yours..... Raise her how you want.... They dont have to come around and you DON'T need their approval.

AClark

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Exactly, we had 320 acres. My parents really never watched me, I played in the mud, rode horses, and was filthy almost constantly. My parents would literally spray me off with the garden hose before I came in, and this was pretty frequently. When I was in high school, I and a lot of my other classmates regularly came to school with muddy boots and jeans from feeding animals and not having enough time to change before catching the bus. My friends and I would pick alfalfa out of each others hair and fix the hot mess we looked like on the 45 minute ride to school. Nobody ever thought we were neglected or missing out on anything.
I just thought of another suggestion, do you hob nob with your neighbors if you have any? Or a homeschool group of sorts? Maybe it would do you good to see other children being raised like you're raising yours; people that understand what you're doing would be good for you I think. I don't know how well it would work, but have you just put your foot down with the monster-in-law? My first marriage I had a slightly over-bearing father-in-law and that really stopped a lot of the BS. One time when my ex husband was deployed, my father in law dropped in unannounced to check up on us. He made a comment that I should "put some clothes on" - I had shorts and a t-shirt on and I'm in my own house. I told him I wasn't expecting him and when he started to pay my bills he can tell me what I can and can't wear in my own (f'-word) house. That may or may not work for you, but I am rude like that.
Like someone else mentioned, I don't need someone else's approval on what I wear, how I raise my kids, or what I do so long as it's not dangerous - and neither do you!