Farmerjan's journal - Weather

Weldman

Herd Master
Reaction score
Back in for the night awhile ago. Took the mower out and did some around the garden... going to move the netting a bit and then do the inside. Also took the weed eater out with me, and ran out 3 batteries. Did alot around the butternut vines, got most of the tiger lily plants cut off again... moved a few of the vines around to get the taller grass... might try to put some of the mulch hay down tomorrow to make it easier to find them and keep them off the wetter grass when the actual squashes grow and "sit" on the ground... they are really putting out some "fruit" .....

Then I put in a short row of broccoli seeds, and a short row of green lettuce and a short row of red lettuce. See what comes up.
The green beans I planted where the others didn't come up, are all up and looking good.
There are spots where the potatoes did not come up... maybe because it was so dry when I got these couple of rows planted. Oh well, not the end of the world. I scuffed up the soil inbetween the hay mulch and this is where I put in the short rows of broccoli and stuff... the broccoli will get transplanted around... we'll see if the lettuce comes up much... it is also older seed. With my luck, it will all come up like those green beans...:gig:gig:gig

There are alot of weeds in those rows, where the potatoes did not come up in spots, and I am not going to worry about them. The last couple of rows I planted and got the hay down between the rows, are coming up pretty good... but they got moisture right from the time they were planted... and are ahead of the weeds. They will be late but that is okay too... Got tons of green tomatoes on the plants, finally....a few that were ripe the other day... Not near the weeds where it got tilled good... it chopped the weeds up pretty good and I pulled any that were starting to come up as I planted the potatoes, and then got the walkways inbetween them pretty good. The garden always starts to get weedy/messy by mid Aug anyway... except any you retill for later crops.

Went through another pile of papers and put a bunch in to be burnt....Got alot of stuff to sort through still. I need to not just bring stuff in and pile it....

Ate another big bowl of yellow squash for supper... No humidity... tomorrow is supposed to be nicer. I hope to get on the mowing and stuff and make a BIG DENT in it... Think I will put a load of clothes in the washer... just to stay ahead... be good drying day tomorrow...

It is a nice 70 out there... n
If it wasn't planted back in April the season is over to growing anything else here without a greenhouse.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
I kinda figured that you guys would be looking at some cold weather settling in pretty soon. Our weather here seems to be shifting to "longer, later fall weather" and later frosts... Last year I think it was into early Nov before we got a frost. Used to be anytime after Labor day we could get one, but usually before early Oct.
Well, if I get green beans off these late ones that'll be great... I can cover... Many times we will get a cold snap then it will be warm ... Indian Summer... for several weeks after that. It won't hurt broccoli to get a little chilled.

Weldman

Herd Master
Reaction score
I kinda figured that you guys would be looking at some cold weather settling in pretty soon. Our weather here seems to be shifting to "longer, later fall weather" and later frosts... Last year I think it was into early Nov before we got a frost. Used to be anytime after Labor day we could get one, but usually before early Oct.
Well, if I get green beans off these late ones that'll be great... I can cover... Many times we will get a cold snap then it will be warm ... Indian Summer... for several weeks after that. It won't hurt broccoli to get a little chilled.
Depends on the year we bounce between 3B and 3A. Wife has yet to get broccoli before it has bolted, German garlic going down next year. Corn grows well, I am starting to see ears coming up and I didn't even purposely plant it, it was what I didn't want to feed the pigs cause it got wet and had some black algae or something on it. Tossed it out on the ground and hell it's even growing in our rock driveway.
Not as good as what I tossed on dirt, but it's growing.

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
I get good growing here into Dec, most yrs, for the cold crops. This yr, who knows. 😕 Garden was not good this year with hot/dry. Some things cooked on the vine -- too hot, day & night. So anticipate we will get a strange winter, too. Potatoes to dig later this month. Have gotten some tomatoes, pepper, squash, eggplant, etc. just not big amounts...or especially well formed fruits.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Up to more clouds than sun, some sun peeking through, but thought it was going to be mostly sun. Cool temps... down to 61 overnight. Great sleeping temps.

There seems to be more plane activity lately. Loud jet type. The blue ridge mtns seem to be somewhat of a training area for these jets and maneuvers and we get it from time to time. But lately there seems to be more activity. Just had one go over that was VERY LOW..... very loud, sounded like it was coming in the front door. These are jets that you hear them and look way past and see it as it disappears out of sight.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Ooops, hit something that posted that...

Anyway, it gives you pause; with things heating up in other countries... Israel 's latest counterattack in retaliation for the recent attack on them and the school children. which also was on a school and lots of civilian casualties with getting to a center of terrorist headquarters under the school... to Ukraine going on the offensive against Russia.... and now having the very "liberal" agenda of the party wanting to get "elected" into office, I think it is emboldening these factions.....
Please God, help us to get back on an even keel.....

Sun comes and goes, so I am going out in a few to do some stuff outside while the temps are still good to work.

SageHill

Herd Master
Reaction score
Ooops, hit something that posted that...

Anyway, it gives you pause; with things heating up in other countries... Israel 's latest counterattack in retaliation for the recent attack on them and the school children. which also was on a school and lots of civilian casualties with getting to a center of terrorist headquarters under the school... to Ukraine going on the offensive against Russia.... and now having the very "liberal" agenda of the party wanting to get "elected" into office, I think it is emboldening these factions.....
Please God, help us to get back on an even keel.....

Sun comes and goes, so I am going out in a few to do some stuff outside while the temps are still good to work.
We've got Pendleton close by. Choppers go directly over us everyday. We haven't been getting more activity here. Though we have other times. Strangely their high explosive ordinance booms have been quiet lately.
Miramar is close as well, though we usually don't get their air traffic.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Must be an accident on the interstate...or RT 11..... traffic super heavy on the road here in front of the house. Always get all kinds of traffic looking for a route to get from one exit to the other, that my road parallels the interstate... so they go out to rt 11 or find their way with GPS on my road..... HATE IT.....:duc:duc:duc Going back out, needed a drink... got the hiccups for some reason ????

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Back again. Needed a break. Got mowing mostly done inside the net fence but then the sun came out and it got hot. Got most everything done inside the netting except the side near the pine trees... will get to that later or maybe tomorrow. Mowed around the house, going out to finish the side after another drink.
Got side tracked with a call that some calves were out at the pasture where the other 3 were getting out that we brought in and sold the 3 cows a few weeks ago. DAM#@D high tensile wire with no electric ..... they were walking through it on one end near where a big tree had come down years ago, and other than getting some of it cleaned up by the road crew... it is still there... BIG as in old and huge.... has been down for years and we got most of it cleaned up enough and ran new wire around it... BUT then this year I guess the road crew (VDOT) in that county (north of us) decided to cut some of the bigger limbs and the stretched fence was left with a couple spots for the deer to easily go through it and it is not tight like it should be.
There is PLENTY of grass, but these cotton pickin PITA calves HAVE to put their heads/bodies through the loose wire and go out. SO, DS came after I went there to see what it needed.... we put in 2 t-posts between the wood posts so a shorter stretch for the calves to be able to NOT push their way to go through it... tightened up the hi tensile fence wire on the tighteners that they installed when this was built. Ought to discourage them from trying it... maybe the deer will go elsewhere to go through...
Did I mention how much I HATE high tensile fence?????

AND DS informs me that he is has to go in and get the knee surgery.... TOMORROW..... said he thought he told me about it....they called him Friday eve around 6 and said they had a cancellation so could get him done then... needs doing before he does any more damage... NO, I haven't talked to him since Friday morning.... we had all that rain on Thursday after we got back... heard NOTHING from him yesterday.... he can't remember what/who he tells what to...

So I have got to take him in the morning.... out patient but have no idea how long he will be. Guess I will find all that out tomorrow...at the Hospital.....
Just got home from that... going to get the rest of the mowing done and get that put away... got to get the forester here to put the bags of feed in it since I will need this car to go test on Tuesday that is already set up.... unless he has problems of some sort. Just cancelled my appt at massage therapist for tomorrow morning... :duc :duc :duc :somad:somad:somad:hit:hit:hit:hit:hit:hit:hit:th:th

Going back out to get some more accomplished since I will be tied up most of the day tomorrow now....

Just realized I never ate lunch... stomach is growling... guess I will eat a sandwich for now before I go out....