Farmerjan's journal - Weather

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Which is WHY my jobs can work -- I can reschedule when I'm juggling 🥴 🤬🤪🤣👍🤷
Same here... just a pain sometimes... But yeah, would not do to have a 5 day/ 9-5 type of job. Even my waitressing was a little flexible when I did banquet work... would know when I was scheduled, and could work around it ... not as good as testing... and I am very thankful to have fewer farms so more flexibility...

Mowing done and riding mower put in. Went out and made sure the fence was closed around the garden stuff... will get the push mower and the weed eater picked up tomorrow afternoon and put in after I finish doing some more stuff with them.

Went up and did calf and fed the others that came in the creep gate. Put another bale of hay in with the holstein calf. Have not had time to get him moved here with other things with DS.

Leaving at 7:15 to go to hospital... 45 min tops... has to be there at 9... surgery is sometime after that.

Got the passenger seat all the way back and the stuff behind the seat cleaned out so seat is back as far as it can go to make sure he will have some room to get in with his long legs. Wish I had the explorer but he has been too busy to go get it and take his other truck. Just ticks me off some days. I would have done something to get a ride to go get it if I had known he wasn't going to go trade those vehicles before now.

Going in to get a shower and wash my hair.....

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Hope DS knee surgery goes well. That will limit him for a couple weeks -- at least -- until some internal healing happens. Hope they bind it up so he HAS to limit use. Ya know how men are!! At least this is maybe a slower time for some work...no haying, less bale toting, no auctions for loading, etc.

Did y'all get those cow/calf pairs loaded & moved?
If not, he can get a couple guys to help with that ?

YOU sure know he needs that knee to rest!

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Totally screwed up day.... dr never got the pre-surgery stuff done... we get up there and he goes in and half hour later comes out... is pretty p.o.ed.... called his GP dr office back, and told them that they screwed up... because of no pre-op stuff... he got an appt for this aft, for that... I think they know they goofed big time... surgery rescheduled for NEXT Friday..... 23rd....

So I have been playing phone tag with a couple farms... the one I took the meters to, in the rain last week, her husband NEGLECTED to tell her that he put them in the office... that they do not regularly go in because it is more of a catchall/storage place... even though I said I was going to bring them down "in a little bit"....so didn't use them... wanted to keep them a little longer... I am not blaming her... BUT...really, he didn't tell her that I dropped them off... I was in "clean clothes" and didn't want to go in the parlor with the cow sh!t and smell...... I said that I HAD to have them for tomorrow... and she is off the farm today doing deliveries... they make cheese on this farm.... SOOOO... I am going to get them now; turns out I got a farm set up for this evening........ the one that sold out 100 cows when father/son split... and they are milking 3x day.... so I will go set up at 3-4 or so, go back for 9 pm milking and then the 5 am milking... then have meters for my scheduled farm tomorrow.... Got another scheduled for Wed aft now and then the one Thursday aft. I will take the meters BACK to the farm, Friday morning... for her to use Fri/Sat/Sun sometime....
Chiropractor on Friday... and now a farm wants to test on Sat....no meters at least....so will see if they can do morning... and we will get those cows moved on Sat and the calves brought to the barn and worked through the chute/banded/shots etc... then take out to the farm. AND there are 4 cows DS did not get moved out of this place.... not just the friendly one and the one with the new calf that will not come in... don't know if he is going to try to get at least the 3 that have not calved yet, out of there to come to the barn to calve and all....:th:th:th:th:hu:hu:idunno:idunno:idunno

Heading to get the meters back from the farm and will go set up and then do some stuff around here... will be able to work here until 8:30 or so... go to test and then sleep for 5 hours or so and go back to test 5 a.m......

Anyone out there want a "non-conventional" job?????:hide:hide:hide:lol::lol::gig:gig

How about a "non-conventional" life???? Guaranteed to not get in a hum-drum boring daily routine rut.....

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Meters picked up, put a few more in the car, took to farm and set up for this evening... Got the bottles in the tray for taking samples... will do that this evening so I can get them in order to be able to ship tomorrow... Only about 35 cows so should be there less than an hour actual milking this eve... in the morning it will be milking, computer entries, and then I will go back to get the meters on the way to test in the afternoon, because it is doubtful they will be done washing since it won't take hardly anytime to enter milk weights in computer....
Came back home, going to go out and get the weed eater going. Run the walk behind mower a few places. Got the batteries recharged for the riding mower so will put them back in, so ready to go. It is 80 so comfortable pretty much.

But my stomach is growling so going to eat something now. I will grab a snack before I go to the farm too... but if I eat now, will work off a good bit of it long before bed. Got a nice tomato from DS's neighbor that will make perfect tomato sandwich....

Got bottles for tomorrow's herd in trays ready to go also...

Another farm wants to test so put them in for Wed evening... no set up there... as usual, feast or famine... but get them done and out of the way...

Time for that tomato sandwich:D =D:D =D:D =D:D =D:D =D:drool:drool:drool:drool:drool:drool:drool:yesss::yesss::yesss:

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Milking last evening took 45 minutes... 34 cows went through the parlor.... Left at 8:45, milking 9-9:45, home at 10... Weird.....
Went back this morning, left at 5:10, milking at 5:30-6:30... did computer work, got meters out of parlor as they had just finished the cycles..... Home from testing this morning, meters in car, brackets changed for this afternoon's farm. Ready to put bottles in car and head out to drop samples at UPS and go to test.

Partly sunny, more clouds early, but clearing off a bit more. 62 to start... got to stop and get the couple samples from the farmer I get my milk from, and then head to the other farm. Nothing else much will get done today. :idunno :idunno :idunno :th :th :th Maybe will be able to get some weed eating done this evening???? NAH, it will be tomorrow... I will crash tonight after the short night last night and then testing today...

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Home from evening milking... it was nearly dark. Brought samples in the house, will get them packed to go out tomorrow. Need to get another tray of bottles ready for farm tomorrow afternoon.

"Neighbors" where we rent the pasture, that I went over and got the pears... called , said that the peaches on one tree are splitting some... probably from the surge of rain... and she knows of no one that would take them and cut out the "bad spots" besides her and me, people don't want them if they aren't perfect... and she has all she can work up in the kitchen for the next several days. SOOOOOOO, I am going over tomorrow morning and get peaches. And of course, you know I have all kinds of spare time with another farm tomorrow and one on Thursday and my chiropractor appt on Friday... and am going to get in an appt with the massage therapist, to do some CranioSacral..... after the adjustment... and moving and working those cows and calves on Sat....
I need to just retire...... so I can find more things to do in the summer... :th :th :th :th :th :idunno:idunno:idunno:idunno:barnie:barnie:barnie:he:he:he

I need to say no,,,, but the idea of throwing all this produce/fruits out for no good reason just goes against the grain...
I need to make a big batch of peach butter or maybe try some peach salsa??? And just do up chunks since there will be pieces to cut around, for future just eating... don't have to be "pretty" slices...
Nice enough day, partly cloudy all day, a stray sprinkle that didn't do much... a little more humid. Tonight is supposed to cool off to low 60's... I am tired and feet hurt... going to get a shower and go to bed to get up and do samples and all before going to get the peaches. Need some tote type things to put them in I guess... Got a couple that need to be washed out... in the morning.