Farmerjan's journal - Weather

canesisters

Herd Master
Reaction score
Have known the guy for 40 years that i have lived here... he will do me right...They won't be cheap... he was getting $30? a piece for the ones at the swap... and @Mini Horses and @canesisters can tell you how pretty his "culls" were.... Surprising, Buff color pattern is a hard color pattern to breed due to not getting the brassiness; and getting the buff color even overall. Then you add in the type...
I had SC light brown leghorns for many years, years ago and liked them... but that is another hard color to breed.... There isn't alot of call for white eggs here, but I want to breed what I want now... and eggs all taste the same in my kitchen anyway...
Plus I really want the New Hampshires again... great brown eggs... I really want to start to enjoy my poultry before I get too old to do so.... and there are some others I would like... getting the perimeter fence up is going to be part of this... and getting some "housing" that will keep out the varmints... and I am going whole heartedly into the trapping all these PITA possums and coons that do so much damage. Using the electric netting to be able to utilize them in the garden for cleanup and adding manure to the soil... and then rotating them out of it...
YES!!!! Those birds were the most amazing golden color! Perfectly even all over & not a feather out of place. 🥰 Just beautiful.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Morning... wet wet soaking wet morning.... 65 to start and it is raining... it has rained, some hard rains, with thunder over night. I went out and checked the rain gauge and we already have had 1.6 inches.. I did not dump it since it was still raining... The radar shows that it is supposed to slow down and stop for a couple hours after 10-11 a.m. More working it's way here after 3-4 this afternoon.
Don't want to complain as this is going to really get the ground water replenished... but we have had a whole month's rain in the last 10 days.... NOT counting what is already in the rain gauge I haven't dumped... or what is supposed to come from the hurricane that is coming ashore in FL later today and working it's way up the middle of the country....
Feast or Famine.....

Farm called and cancelled... said it was just a muddy mess there this morning... rescheduled for next Thurs/Fri... That's fine. I am going to take the meters down to the farm that wants to borrow them, today, instead of waiting for tomorrow... and then can get them back in order to go test on Monday. I will put some hoses in the car to take to the farm also... I used all the short ones the other day and need some longer ones for this farm. If it let's up a bit like it is looking, I will go out and load them and then drop them off. They are only 2 miles or so down the road...

DS needs to do some "temp" work on the roof of the shed down at his house on the farm he has near the ex's house. He was concerned a little about no one there with the ladder, so now I can go help him. He is going to re-roof it I think and it needs to have some other wood supporting uprights replaced before it becomes a real "disaster"... now that he has some time to do some of this, he is planning that for this fall/winter. But he wants to get this roof "fixed" for now, before we get anymore rain...

Going to do some "housekeeping" today I guess....

I went up to the nurse cow pasture last evening after we were done with all the cow moving... SOOOOOO GLAD we got them all moved around before the heavier rain last night. Especially getting the hay in the fields.
Of course, all the calves came in the creep gate in the catch pen at the nurse cow pasture... but DS said his knee was aching after all the "cow working" stuff, and it was after 6 when we got finished.... so no way were we going to be moving the calves to the barn last night and getting them worked... The good thing is, they are all coming in for the grain... so in the next week ought to be able to get them in to get them worked... bulls banded and all get the blackleg shots and get them ear tagged. Their mother's need to be preg checked too, but would like to get them ear tagged so I know who belongs to who for sure... I know a couple of them... but there are 2 heifers that I could not tell you who their mother is unless they are sucking... so eartags are essential to be sure who goes to who... This way, if we move anyone anywhere, I need to be sure that the right one goes with it's mom.

So, I am going to go in and do the dishes, and then if the rain let's up a little, will go out and get the hoses in the car and run them down to the farm. Then wait for DS to call when he wants to go do the roof... Looks like the rain is slowing/stopping out there now...

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Some change of plans again, but that was okay. Texted farm to take meters down and they were grateful... DS texted he got the roof done, he had talked to a friend and they lived close and said if I don't call you back in 1/2 hour to come by the house... Well, he got it done and called the guy back so no problems... Then he texted me and said he was going to go to the stockyard north of here, and see what prices were doing, and then go to the "exotic " since it was the 4th Thursday eve... I texted back that I since I was not testing, I might take a ride up to the exotic sale later. He said, if you want, you can go with me... I should be ready to go about 1:45... so I went... He bought 2 bull calves at 450-500 lbs for under $2.00 lb. they will get banded and then put with some others eventually. Then we went to the exotic sale... and although there was alot less than sometimes, there was still a big crowd, and some things brought huge prices... all the "odd ball" breeds like some nice looking Brahma's, a couple of belted galloways, the bull was a grey and was decent, the heifer was too small for my taste but did have a nice belt... I will get a few of them yet again......Few other crossbreds... Dexter mixes, several "cute" little goats, rabbits and such...
Oh, and @Mini Horses ... remember the pen of "mini's" that we looked at, at the Swap, with the palomino with the white face and the others? There were 4 "young ones" and 2 of the older ones there... but he "no saled" them at $800 or so... Same guy and the kid.....

Anyway, that was about it... came home with the 2 bull calves, and he put them in the lot at the barn, and I got home about 9:30....
Friend that is the auctioneer was there and he said do NOT send the calves tomorrow... alot of places are shutting down with the effects of the rain/wind coming from the hurricane... it will hurt the prices... and DS is going to be gone on Thurs/Fri the next 2 weeks; to go with another friend to the big car "parts" swaps at Hershey, PA and another one they usually go to... So, it will be several weeks before he sends the calves... the one we just banded should be ready to go by then, sack should be shriveled up and DS can cut it off, and he might be able to fit in and match the rest of the steers... I told him I could take them next Friday if he wants, but I think now he is going to wait a couple weeks. Whatever he wants...

It is WET... I dumped the rain gauge about noontime when I got back from taking the meters and hoses down. 1.7 inches at the time.,... it had sprinkled just a bit since I had looked at it earlier. It sorta stopped for about an hour or 2... then got back to the misty wet sprinkley stuff... iIt is still doing the misty type light rain but it is looking to pick up more here shortly. The good thing is, it looks to be taking a harder "left turn" heading up and will go a bit more west.. so our rain might be a little lighter... 1-4 instead of the 2-4 or more... and winds might stay a little less. It is supposed to be moving fairly quickly ... starting to get a bit heavier tonight, and most rain and wind tomorrow before early afternoon. Then trailing off to some light rain and such through Saturday...

We'll see... can't change it... Going to bed in a few...

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
We didn't have much today but it looks like we are going to be solid rain for at least the next day and a half. That is why I moved the dogs in with the rams so they can have shelter. The ewes have shelter but they don't share well with the dogs. :) Maisy prefers where she is since she can come in and have plenty of loving.