Feed store rant!

Thewife

Likes frogs
Reaction score
So, Hubby called around this morning to find the fencing we need.
He finally made a deal with one feed store, but the guy said he only had some of the posts we needed, so we would have to wait til he got more in or pick some up from one of their other stores. No biggie, another store was on the way home!

So, we pull into the 2nd store to get the rest of OUR posts, and sat and watched one of the guys load a bunch of posts onto the fork lift and drive away, only to return empty.

Inside, the girl told us she only had 100 of the posts we needed?
She told us we could go pick up the rest of the posts Wednsday from the store we bought them from?

After they guys loaded the 100 posts, Hubby asked them about the ones we watched them load up and hide?
The guy confessed, they had OUR posts and that this store and the other one were basically at war?

So we went back in!
The girl was on the phone, hung up and headed out the wherehouse, we waited a minute and then went looking for her! When we stepped out, the guys were loading the forklift and then put the rest of OUR posts in our truck?
We are thinking one of the loading guys called her to tell her why we were on our way back in?
Hubby in his own nice way, read her the riot act! Seems the store manager told her to hide the posts and only give us 100? Something about they didn't want to empty THEIR store inventory?

The second store is the one I usually send the boys to for my supplies and bird feed!
Good thing there is another feed store just down the road from them!

lupinfarm

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Ughhh, I hate when that stuff happens. We went to our TSC in Belleville a few months ago to buy an 8 ft gate for our corral, bought the gate, went out to get it loaded and get this.. THEY DIDN'T HAVE ANY. I was so mad, especially since I wasted all that time and in the meantime the only other local store that sold gates had closed! In the end we went the next morning to the other store and bought our gate there.

Thewife

Likes frogs
Reaction score
This feed store has finally burned it's bridges!

I lived through waking up to a bag of horse grain instead of the chicken food I needed!
I worked around the fact they only seem to sell cheap milk replacer!
I have grown to accept the fact they really don't have anything for cows!
But to be lied too, that just ######## me off!

lupinfarm

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Ack! ... What really bothers me about our proper feed mill is that none of them sell any horse or chicken supplies, and forget about goats unless you want to buy milk replacer.

I'm so sick and tired of going to the feed mill and having to order the thing I need urgently and never having the feed mill get back to me because I'm not a farmer and just a hobby farm. It seems that the feed mills here are really biased in their sales and assisting of customers. They would jump at helping a farmer, but if you had 2 goats and a horse they'd skirt around your question and never answer.

I have to drive an hour to get any real horse supplies aside from feed.

lupinfarm

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
AND WHY ARE FEED STORES NOT OPEN ON SUNDAYS AND HOLIDAYS. Just because it's a sunday or holiday doesn't mean the world just STOPS.

ksalvagno

Alpaca Master
Reaction score
The feed stores around me all carry goat and chicken feed but not alpaca feed. I actually buy my alpaca feed from another alpaca farm. Of course they all have bankers hours and if you work full time your only option for getting feed would be Saturday morning.

Whether feed stores are at war or not, one would think that the purpose of the store is to sell things. I would think that second store would have been very happy to sell a bunch of posts to make money. It is my understanding that they get new shipments in on a regular basis. :p

Bronco Hollow

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I'd be calling the main store and talking with the owner. That is just downright irresponsible and I can't imagine that any owner would allow such behavior. :barnie

mully

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Bronco Hollow said:
I'd be calling the main store and talking with the owner. That is just downright irresponsible and I can't imagine that any owner would allow such behavior. :barnie
I agree ...call the owner and explain why he will not get any more of your business ... Times as tough as they are I know it won't sit lightly with him

Thewife

Likes frogs
Reaction score
The store is a company owned chain store.
Hubby says he will be calling them.
Gonna let him cool down a little before I give him the number!
I also picked up a paper off their counter!
It says "Talk to us" "We want to hear from you"
They are gonna hear from us!

Cara

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
lupinfarm said:
AND WHY ARE FEED STORES NOT OPEN ON SUNDAYS AND HOLIDAYS. Just because it's a sunday or holiday doesn't mean the world just STOPS.
Perhaps because the people who work there/own them might like a day off to go to church?