First Time Banding

drdoolittle

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Well, I banded my first buckling this afternoon. It seemed pretty easy---well, at least it was for me, I'm sure the kid feels differently about it! I am so hoping I did an o.k. job----at least both testicles were in the band.

drdoolittle

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I had my son's GF check the little guy out, and she said I did it right. :celebrate One less thing I have to have her dad come over and do for me.

snapnzap

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I just did it for the first time too. It was much easier then my first time disbudding and my first time tattooing lol....poor boys :rolleyes:

drdoolittle

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Yes, poor boys! I can't even imagine how it feels. I don't think I'm brave enough to try disbudding.

bjjohns

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I just cannot bring myself to disbud. Make whatever excuses you want.

Banding, yea I can do that, its so much better than any other method we have tried. Like DrD said, get both testicles distended pat the band - and keep an eye on things. We have about a 97-99% success rate with bands,

drdoolittle

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I doubt I will ever disbud. I did have my son's GF and her dad disbud 2 kids this year, but I felt just horrible when the kids were crying from the pain. I prefer my goats to have horns---they look better and it's a natural cooling system. Mine have never been nasty with their horns---just a little bit of butting. I only had those 2 disbudded in case someone wanted them for 4-H. But the wether ended up being bought as a pet.

Royd Wood

Reaction score
Assuming its hot and flies are about ????????? - I would keep an eye on the fella for the next few weeks.
We only band lambs in March and April - I hope its trouble free but fly attack is nasty to deal with

CrazyCatNChickenLady

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Royd Wood said:
Assuming its hot and flies are about ????????? - I would keep an eye on the fella for the next few weeks.
We only band lambs in March and April - I hope its trouble free but fly attack is nasty to deal with
This was my worry.. I have a 9 week old boy I need to band soon. I think the flies were worse a month or 2 ago and I banded my other boy with no problems. but fly strike and maggots are not something I want to deal with. :sick

paynemom

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Yuck. I need to do our boy in a few weeks. I mean, we still have to do it, right? Don't want to wait till they're older. Is there something you can do to prevent problems with flies?