Getting a premee 3 day calf- How much to feed ** photos added **

Azriel

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I'm getting a premee calf, she is 3 days old today, I'll be getting her Sat. morning. She would not nurse her Mom, so the man that has her has been milking the cow and bottle feeding the calf. She is taking the bottle OK, but I will be putting her on milk replacer. I will only be able to feed her 3 times daily, how much should I feed per feeding.

jhm47

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Don't make the switch to replacer too fast. If you do, you likely will wind up with a case of scours. I'd give it 1.5 pints of whole milk in the AM, 1 pint at noon, and another pint in the evening. After a couple days of this, give it 1 pint whole milk and 1/2 pint of replacer in the AM, 1/2 pint of each at noon, and half and half in the evening. Go with half and half for a couple days, and then go 3/4 replacer and 1/4 milk for a couple days, and finally switch to all replacer. BE SURE NOT TO OVERFEED. In general, a hungry calf is a healthy calf. It should always be hungry when you finish feeding it. Overfeeding is the biggest cause of scours.

she-earl

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I would also make sure the calf has access to a good calf starter feed and water. Don't give any hay until it is at least six-weeks-old. I second what jhm posted. I always switch our holstein calves this way and have not had trouble with scours. Don't give the calf hay until it is at least six-weeks-old.

redtailgal

Reaction score
jhm47 said:
Don't make the switch to replacer too fast. If you do, you likely will wind up with a case of scours. I'd give it 1.5 pints of whole milk in the AM, 1 pint at noon, and another pint in the evening. After a couple days of this, give it 1 pint whole milk and 1/2 pint of replacer in the AM, 1/2 pint of each at noon, and half and half in the evening. Go with half and half for a couple days, and then go 3/4 replacer and 1/4 milk for a couple days, and finally switch to all replacer. BE SURE NOT TO OVERFEED. In general, a hungry calf is a healthy calf. It should always be hungry when you finish feeding it. Overfeeding is the biggest cause of scours.
This is EXCELLENT advice, and I'd recommend you follow it exactly.

I'd also recommend that you go ahead and purchase a small bag of electrolytes to have on hand,, just in case. Get the smallest one you can find.

And, I start putting hay out to calves at about 3 weeks. This is about when I see the dam raised calves start nibbling on it. We've never had a problem with allowing hay before weaning.

she-earl

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I need to disagree about giving hay prior to six-weeks of age. We have been to various meetings given by our vets, other dairy meetings, calf raising meetings, etc. and that is one item that everyone has agreed about. They even had slides showing the inside of the stomach of calves that had hay at different ages prior to six-weeks and the stomachs aren't able to handle it. When you do start to give hay at six-weeks, make sure that it is good quality and not dusty.

redtailgal

Reaction score
she-earl said:
I need to disagree about giving hay prior to six-weeks of age. We have been to various meetings given by our vets, other dairy meetings, calf raising meetings, etc. and that is one item that everyone has agreed about. They even had slides showing the inside of the stomach of calves that had hay at different ages prior to six-weeks and the stomachs aren't able to handle it. When you do start to give hay at six-weeks, make sure that it is good quality and not dusty.
Strange, I've worked on dairies with Holsteins and Jerseys........been around calves my whole life and have NEVER had a problem with this. (now that I have said that though, I'll end up with problems.....just wait and see :p).

Anyway, we've always put out hay at about 3 weeks for them to play with. It's just what works on our farm.

animalfarm

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I have difficulties with hay being an issue as well. Right now, I have a 4 week old calf who is nibbling hay along with mom and the aunties. She really doesn't do much more then nibble so maybe thats the secret. All calves that are outside with older stock eat at a very early age. I believe that there is a bigger problem with the quality of some of the milk replacers.

Cricket

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
The vet also told us not to feed hay, but after a couple of days of watching them eat their sawdust bedding, we went back to having hay available. But it's usually leftover from the dry cows, so kind of yucky. We don't give them yummy stuff until they're around 2 weeks.

A couple of months ago I was reading part of someone's thesis on this and he was quite detailed about how wrong it was to give them hay, but then said at the end calves that started hay earlier had faster growth rates, but they didn't know why. Think it might be yet another thing where you can find convincing evidence of whichever side you want to land on!

Azriel

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Thanks for all the replys, I wasnt able to get online last night. I found out that the man that had the calf was only feeding it once a day, so I had to go pick it up after work yesterday. He was able to get some milk out of the cow,(Angus range cow) and had been feeding it milk mixed with milk replacer, so I went with straight replacer, I am not able to get fresh milk. I did get a small bag of electrolytes with vitamins.
The calf is very weak and at this point can not stand. Last night I was able to get about 2 cups of milk into it. This morning I gave it 1 quart. I got home from work about 3, and gave it another quart, and plan on another quart before I go to bed. It is hungry and would like to eat more, but I know not to over feed, but I feel so bad for the poor baby.
Over the weekend Ill be able to feed more often, but I work 4 days a week, and will only be able to feed 3 times daily on the days that I work. Will it be harmfull to feed it more often on the days I'm home, then 3x on the days I work? I'm not sure this little one is going to make it, but I'm going to give it my best.

redtailgal

Reaction score
Three times a day is fine (I only feed mine twice a day after they are a couple weeks old).

You need to stick to the same feeding schedule every day, dont change it on the weekends. GRADUALLY work this calf up to about 1 1/2 quarts three times a day. Take it SLOW esp if it is weak. If you are doing quart size "meals" right now, I'd stick there for about a week before bumping it up any. You would run a serious risk of scours and bloat by changing things up like this.

The calf may be too weak to stand right now, but watch out.........I've seen them just think they cant stand a couple days later. Encourage the calf to get up. The strain of trying will help build strength and the movement/struggle of trying will help prevent pneumonia. Encourage this calf to get up EACH time you give a bottle. Dont be ugly about making it try to get up, but dont be nice either. Be firmly persuasive, give a smack on the rump if you have too. It's more important to prevent pneumonia than it is to be it's friend right now.

You can also try an injection of B complex.

Watch VERY closely for scours......at the FIRST sign of runny or milky looking poop, STOP all milk for 24 hours and reintroduce it again more slowly.

Is there any way that you can post a pic? (front the front, rear and each side, if possible)