Getting a premee 3 day calf- How much to feed ** photos added **

Azriel

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Well, she still won't stand, I'm really loosing hope for her. I'm putting her up in a silng several times a day trying to get her to stand. My BF is much harder on her than I am, he had her in the sling holding her back end up by her tail,and making her struggle with her front legs, I felt so bad I was almost crying. He moved her out to the barn today, I didn't want to, but it might be better for her. Its only 30 degrees today, so I put a heat lamp on her so she doesn't get to cold over night. I have been rubbing her legs, and moving her from side to side. I know she needs to get up, I just don't know what else to do. My neighbor said to give her a shot of Banimine if I can find a vet to get me some, has anyone heard of this or tried it?

TGreenhut

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Azriel said:
Well, she still won't stand, I'm really loosing hope for her. I'm putting her up in a silng several times a day trying to get her to stand. My BF is much harder on her than I am, he had her in the sling holding her back end up by her tail,and making her struggle with her front legs, I felt so bad I was almost crying. He moved her out to the barn today, I didn't want to, but it might be better for her. Its only 30 degrees today, so I put a heat lamp on her so she doesn't get to cold over night. I have been rubbing her legs, and moving her from side to side. I know she needs to get up, I just don't know what else to do. My neighbor said to give her a shot of Banimine if I can find a vet to get me some, has anyone heard of this or tried it?
Just wanted to say good luck, this sounds really difficult. Keep working with her and I hope she pulls through. Banamine is a pain killer so it might do some good. Maybe her legs are painful so if you give her the shot to relieve the pain she'll be more willing to stand?

Cricket

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
http://www.backyardherds.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=12402&p=1 I don't know what's wrong with your calf, but if she's eating and pooping well, you're doing REALLY well and I wouldn't give up on her! The thread I posted here concerns clubfoot, which I realize is different, but thought you might be encouraged to see some bad legs. I think my heifer's photos are message 17.

Your calf doesn't know she should be up running and jumping and feeding on her feet--this is her normal. You're going to have to show her the way it's supposed to be. It's hard not to feel sorry for the little buggers, but they really don't feel the same about being lame (or pain, for that matter!) as a human would, so try not to project your feelings onto her. Some calves born to first calf heifers don't have enough room while they're developing and they have floppy legs. The farm vet said 'form follows function', so the more you get her into her proper position, the better she'll be. Best of luck and keep us updated!

Azriel

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I have a bit of good news on the calf. I was able to give her the Banamine shot tonight, then I fed her and let her rest for about 15 min. before I put her up in her sling. After being up in the sling for maybe 10-15 min. she was standing for at first just a second or two, but I kept her in the sling for about a half hour and by the time I let her down she was actually walking just a bit with the help of the sling. She is still not able to get up by herself, but I'm more hopeful now.

Azriel

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Azriel said:
I have a bit of good news on the calf. I was able to give her the Banimine shot tonight, then I fed her and let her rest for about 15 min. before I put her up in her sling. After being up in the sling for maybe 10-15 min. she was standing for at first just a second or two, but I kept her in the sling for about a half hour and by the time I let her down she was actually walking just a bit with the help of the sling. She is still not able to get up by herself, but I'm more hopeful now.

Azriel

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Sorry for the double post, not sure how that happened.

woodsie

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Glad you have some good news!:hugs Sounds like you are doing really well....she's very lucky to have you!

jhm47

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
If she were mine, she would have to be standing to eat. This will motivate her a lot. I know---sounds cruel, but in a case like this, you need to take drastic measures.

redtailgal

Reaction score
jhm47 said:
If she were mine, she would have to be standing to eat. This will motivate her a lot. I know---sounds cruel, but in a case like this, you need to take drastic measures.
I agree. NO more free rides. Sound to me like she has a hard case of "princess-itis"