Getting a premee 3 day calf- How much to feed ** photos added **

Azriel

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I'm trying to get the calf to stand, would putting it in a sling and hanging it so the feet are touching the ground a few times a day help any. I've been working her legs, stretching, and flexing them when I get done feeding her, and it seems like she wants to get up but doesn't try very hard.
I also have a poop question. Her poop is very firm, almost like dog poop, when it breaks apart its like little rabbit beans. Is this OK. She poops every time I feed her which I'm sure is normal.
I'll get some photos and post them later today.

Azriel

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I got some photos of the calf, I still can't get her to stand, but all else is going well. She is eating very well and still acts hungry when she finishes her bottle, and no signs of scours yet. If I keep trying to help her stand, will she just get up when she is ready?

redtailgal

Reaction score
What makes you think she is a preemie? She looks pretty good, honestly. Her ears are a little low and her legs seem swollen.

Feel her legs, esp at the "knee". Are they hot? are they "squishy"? She NEEDS to get UP.

When you try to make her stand is she making ANY effort to do so?

Have you tried picking her up and PUTTING her on her feet? Get some help if you need it. Stand her up on her feet, give her enough support to see if she is "noodle" legged or will make an effort.

She needs motion.........she needs to lay on different sides and she needs to stand UP a few times a day, even if you have to pick her up.

If all else fails, put a bail of hay under her belly to help her stay on her feet for a little while.....stay with her until you let her lay back down.

Azriel

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I guess not really a premee, the cows were not due till March 10th, a dog got in and chased the cows and this one a a few others were born a good 3 weeks early. This one was to weak to stand and nurse and the owner of the cows only had time to help her once a day. I got her when she was 4 days, cold and very week. She is 7 days now, and doing much better, but still won't stand. I have been trying to get her up and lift her and try to make her use her legs but so far not much luck. Sometimes she almost looks like she wants to get up but just doesnt really try. Her knees are a little swollen, but not hot, and I don't think squishy. Her legs look short to me, but I"m used to horses not cows. I did make a sling that I have been lifting her in but I think that is hard on her, she is between 50-60 #, and I can't lift her, I hadn't thought of straw bales, I'll do that tomorrow. I do work her legs and roll her from side to side, and I know she is moving somewhat on her own, sometimes when I go down to her she will be in a different place than when I left her, but she just isn't trying to get up and stand.

redtailgal

Reaction score
Do you know if she was able to get any colostrum? I am concerned about naval ill........

she-earl

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Have you taken the calf's temp? It should be somewhere between 101 - 102.5 possibly depending on time of day, has it been exerting itself therefore raising body temp. If the temp is over 103, the calf should have antibiotics. The type of antibiotic would depend on symptons: coughing use Nuflor, draxin, unknown reason for a fever - penicillin. How has the calf been drinking for you? Sometimes a calf that just "needs a kick in the pants" may benefit from having some electrolytes added to its milk.

Azriel

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
She still won't stand, today I got another shot of B complex- giving 5ml for 4 days, BoSe 1.5ml daily for 2 days, and A&D just 1shot, also got a different kind of electrolytes.
She is eating well, I'm feeding 3x daily, 1.5 quart morning and eve, and 1 quart mid day. Is that enough for a calf her size,? I don't want to over feed, but don't want to starve her either. She sucks the bottle dry and would take more. No scours, no fever, seems bright and alert, just can't stand. I'm at a loss, don't know what else to do.
I was told she had stood a few times before I got her, but I don't know if I belive that. I was also told that she got colostrum, but the guy that I got her from was only able to help her once a day.
Her navel looks good, not draining and not swollen. I did check her legs, not swollen, not squishy, not hot.

jhm47

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
You're feeding enough for a calf that size and age. Whatever you do, don't overfeed. This calf has enough problems without getting a digestive upset (scours). She also will have more incentive to stand if she's a bit hungry. You might want to try to coax her up by keeping the bottle a bit out of her reach as you feed. Make her stretch out to reach the nipple. Each day try to make it more difficult for her to nurse. Also have someone help her to stand while feeding her, and only let her suck while she's standing. This may sound cruel, but you sometimes need to take drastic measures to get results. And-------Good Luck!

Azriel

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
The calf has been trying to stand today, I had some help and did get her standing with 2 of us holding her up, but she still can't get up on her own. I do feel encoraged that she is at least trying now. I would be so happy if she was up when I get home from work tomorrow. I'll update on her progress tomorrow.

redtailgal

Reaction score
Rub her legs a little, they may be numb from laying on them so long.

You can also take a beach towel or something similar and use it as a hand held sling to help her develop some muscle tone.

If the weather is nice and sunny, try to get her outside......sunshine works wonders for all of us critters.

I agree with jhm on the feeding. I agree with the entire post, but want to add a little to it. Dont take it personal, I speak from experience here.........This calf has it MADE IN THE SHADE. She gets to lay around and have her meals prepared and delivered warm. No competition, no chasing mom around to catch an udder..........shoot, I wouldnt get up either! I had a calf do this to me once, that is until I figured out that she had trained ME. Time to suck it up and give a little tough love, here. Skip a meal. Missing one meal wont hurt her. It will make her hungry. With any luck, she'll get up and wobble around searching for her meal. If not, then go back to your regular feeding schedule but......... be really really mean and tease her with her bottle.......make her work for it by trying to get to it for a couple minutes before you give it to her. Make her work a little harder each time, until she is up and walking to you for her bottle.

No more free ride for this little chic.

Be tough. She will be pitiful....